1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2017 9:15 AM by dataWolf

How can I add a box to a text?

dataWolf

I want to make a list of checkboxes to print out for people to pick one of the boxes. The amounts varies. When I place a box on the layout and the text field, it doesn't like up when the amount gets bigger or smaller. There can be many choices so I don't want to make many fields. Just one field that has [box $120 box $20 box $5000] but mine will be more complex.

• 1. Re: How can I add a box to a text?
          Jaymo

Have you tried resizing the field. My checkboxes line up. Can you attach a screen shot?

• 2. Re: How can I add a box to a text?
            rgordon

I'm assuming you want the values right justified. Resize the checkbox field to only show the checkboxes. Then type the values you want as text objects across from the checkboxes on the layout. The text should match the values in the checkboxes.

• 3. Re: How can I add a box to a text?
              dataWolf

As I said, the dollar amounts change. So if I move the boxes to work for

this record, on the next one the amounts string will be different and not

line up, so I want to put the boxes in the text. I found an alt code for

the only simple box out there but it is little, smaller than the text so it

doesn't look right.

• 4. Re: How can I add a box to a text?
                philmodjunk

Doesn't look like you are using actual check box formatting for your field like you should.

• 5. Re: How can I add a box to a text?
                  dataWolf

Oh and just to be clear, this is not checkboxes as the filemaker item, I just meant a row of boxes with varying dollar amounts that the user could check with a pen. The amounts are based on their last giving amount, so it won't work to type them into a FM check box. Unless that can be constructed to use calculated values based on the record? I'll look into that.

I can't believe there's no simple large box out there on the web to copy and pastes. My search for "special characters' yielded many special characters but no simple large (full sized) box.

• 6. Re: How can I add a box to a text?
                    dataWolf

Okay I'll give more details. If they last gave $20, i want the options to be 20 40 60 80

If they last gave 500, I want the choices to be $500 $1000 $1500 $2500

how do I build that?

• 7. Re: How can I add a box to a text?
                      philmodjunk

Use a value list and the check box formatting.

You can use the data from the table to provide the values for the value list and it can be the data specific to a particular donor. You can even use a script or calculation field to produce these values based on the most recent donation by that donor.

• 8. Re: How can I add a box to a text?
                        Jason Wood

Sounds like these numbers are in a single calculated text field?

You could fix this by putting tabs between the numbers (if you don't already use tabs), then set tab stops for the field/text box in layout mode.

In layout mode, go to View>Rulers (if you don't have rulers). While the field or text box is selected, set your tab stops by clicking inside the ruler.

• 9. Re: How can I add a box to a text?
                          dataWolf

As far as I know, a calculation produces one value. How can I use a calculation to make multiple values to be used by the value list?

• 10. Re: How can I add a box to a text?
                            philmodjunk

Here's a calculation:

Let ( X = MostRecentDonation ;

List ( X ; 2 * x ; 3 * x ; 4 * x )

)

How you get that most recent donation depends on the design of your solution--something that I can't see. Make that an indexed calculation field with a text result type or set a text field to this value via a script or auto-enter calculation--just make sure that the field is indexed, not global nor unstored, (may need a script to get the most recent donation and still keep this result indexed).

And you can set up a value list with a self join relationship to list just the values from this one field for that one donor to get your values for a check box format.

This would be a "use values from field" value list with values selected from the related table (self join) with Include only related values starting from (Layout table occurrence) specified.

• 11. Re: How can I add a box to a text?
                              Jason Wood

There are two options being suggested here.

1) You can use a value list and "real" checkboxes. But it seems to me that you have to have a somewhat more complicated system to pick the correct set of values based on the last donation. i.e.: a relationship to a lookup table that tells you what options you want to have given each previous donation level. (Edit: phil makes a good suggestion to use a self join)

2) But since this is just for the purpose of printing squares on paper, I suggest just one calculation field that determines your 4 suggested amounts, with tabs between them, then draw rectangles to the left of the tab stops.

• 12. Re: How can I add a box to a text?
                                JoelShapiro

Have you tried a unicode box character, such as "☐"?  You should be able to copy and paste it as text, but you should make sure it'll look right on the OS that you'll be printing from (Windows/Mac).

You can google "unicode box" or find one on a page I googled:

Unicode range 25: Box Drawing, Block Elements, Geometric Shapes

HTH,

-Joel

• 13. Re: How can I add a box to a text?
                                  beverly

there you are... thinking inside the box. LOL

good suggestion!

• 14. Re: How can I add a box to a text?
                                    keywords

The following is just a text object drawn in Filemaker, using a box symbol and tabs to separate the values on each line. You could easily substitute merge fields for text, and with appropriately set tab positions achieve what you want:

☐ $20.00 ☐ $40.00 ☐ $60.00

☐ $200.00 ☐ $400.00 ☐ $600.00

☐ $2000.00 ☐ $4000.00 ☐ $6000.00

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 7.44.40 AM.png

1 2 3 Previous Next