6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2017 7:48 AM by beverly

Multiple users multiple databases

MarkGroves

I am presently upgrading from FM5 to FM15, a difficult but necessary transition.

One problem I have is users. FM5 allows for user groups controlled by passwords, in my case with FM5 I have 9 related databases and 5 user groups and its not difficult to manage (45 in total). In FM15 user groups are replaced by user accounts, we have 45 users. This would mean I have to create and manage 45x9=405 user accounts!

Is there an easier way? Could I build a security database that controls users accounts, if so does anyone have a solution? Or is there a script that could control access across 9 databases using the user accounts in one database?

Any suggestions would be appreciated but please don't get too techy I haven't done any script work for 10 years.

Thanks

Mark

• 1. Re: Multiple users multiple databases
          beverly

You have posted to Community Feedback. Questions are best asked in the Discussions where more will see it and reply. You can see this post for how to move this topic:

beverly

• 2. Re: Multiple users multiple databases
            wimdecorte

You could consolidate the different files in one and maintain the accounts only once.

Or you could use External Authentication and just create groups in FM, not individual accounts.  The account management is then done outside of FM, which is infinitely more secure than trying to come up with an ersatz / roll-your-own security scheme with a central table or file.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Multiple users multiple databases
              philmodjunk

"FM5 allows for user groups controlled by passwords, in my case with FM5 I have 9 related databases and 5 user groups and its not difficult to manage (45 in total)"

That has me puzzled. I worked with FileMaker 5.5 for many years. There was no such thing as a "group" in that system. Only thing that I can think of is that ypu defined 5 passwords and allowed multiple users to log on using the same password

If that's what you did, the same is possible in 15. You would create 5 accounts and multiple users can log in using the same account name and password. I don't recommend that but this is the equivalent set up.

While I agree that external authorization is the better option, it is possible to use scripts to enable an authorized user to enter an account name and password, select a privilege set from a list and then a script creates matching accounts in each file.

• 4. Re: Multiple users multiple databases
                Jason Wood

Another thing that has changed since FM5 is that you no longer need multiple files since each file can have up to 1 million tables! Have you considered bringing everything together under 1 file?

• 5. Re: Multiple users multiple databases
                  wimdecorte

philmodjunk wrote:

That has me puzzled. I worked with FileMaker 5.5 for many years. There was no such thing as a "group" in that system.

Pretty sure this is what he is referring to:

2017-03-29_10-27-36.png

But I agree, that it is a bit of a misrepresentation.  The current equivalent are the privilege sets.  Even in FM5 you'd have to have individual passwords for each user if you want to track them separately.

• 6. Re: Multiple users multiple databases
                    beverly

Confirmed! p. 145 of the FMP 5 User Guide

"Chapter 9, Protecting databases with passwords and groups"

setting groups to limit access to specific elements within a a file (like fields and layouts)