7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2017 11:59 AM by rgordon

Auto-enter question

dbice

I’m using checkbox sets for test questions. I want to set it to where only one box can be checked on each question. (I’m not using radio buttons because I want to be able to uncheck a selection on the iPad if it gets selected by accident). There is a two-part question:

Item #8 [0, 1]

8a [Y, N]

8b [Y,N]

For 8a and 8b, I set the checkbox field to auto-enter (replace) with: RightValues ( Self ; 1 ).

For Item #8, I would like to set the checkbox field to auto-enter "1" if both 8a and 8b = “Y”, and "0" otherwise. However, with 8a and 8b set with RightValues (Self ; 1), I can’t get a value to auto-enter into Item #8. Is there another way to do this?

• 1. Re: Auto-enter question
          rgordon

What auto enter calc are you using?  Make sure you uncheck Do not replace existing value of field (if any) in the Options dialog.

• 2. Re: Auto-enter question
            philmodjunk

Is each answer to a question a different record?

If so, you would need to set up script triggers and a script to update #8.

And I might use radio buttons, but add a clear button for clearing the field.

• 3. Re: Auto-enter question
              BruceRobertson

Regarding your calc: RightValues (Self ; 1)

Suggested mod:

GetValue (Self ; valueCount( self ))

• 4. Re: Auto-enter question
                dbice

I'm picking up that everyone prefers radio buttons instead of checkboxes. Can you help me understand the benefits of doing it this way over the checkboxes?

• 5. Re: Auto-enter question
                  dbice

That seems to work! Thanks!

• 6. Re: Auto-enter question
                    philmodjunk

I'm picking up that everyone prefers radio buttons instead of checkboxes. Can you help me understand the benefits of doing it this way over the checkboxes?

It's a matter of what your UI design implies to the user about what they can do. Check boxes imply that you can select multiple values. Radio buttons imply that you can select only one value at a time. My preference is to adhere to that style to keep user confusion to a minimum. This is a small issue--really a matter of preference.

Note that FileMaker violates this UI Design convention by allowing users to select multiple radio button values by holding down modifier keys. I use the calculation shared by Bruce to enforce single value selection on radio buttons for that reason.

There are two ways to make it easy for a user to clear radio buttons--both in Pro and GO:

Add a button that uses set field to set the field to "".

Add one more value to the value list that is actually a null value. (Can't be done if the value list is "use from field". You'd have to use a value that is then cleared via script or auto-enter calculation after it is selected.)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Auto-enter question
                      rgordon

A couple of other ways to clear out a radio button in FileMaker Pro include: Shift click the item you want to clear or click anywhere  on a radio button and then press the delete key.  If it is ok for a user to clear a radio button I usually put how to do it in a tooltip.  In FIleMaker Go if you over size the radio button field on the layout, you can then tap to the right of the last radio button value to bring up a popover with a delete option.

1 of 1 people found this helpful