9 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 7:14 PM by krheinlander

Fields in Field Picker Become Invisible

PeterGort

FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.3.305

Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Macbook Pro 15-inch Laate 2013

Field names in field picker are invisible if "Increase contrast" is turned on in "Accessibility"

Turn on "Increase contrast" in System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Display, go into layout mode, and open field picker.

Workaround: turn off "Increase Contrast".

• 1. Re: Fields in Field Picker Become Invisible
          Fred(CH)

Hi,

This was also reported here earlier :

Re: field picker text unreadable

Have a nice day,

Fred

• 2. Re: Fields in Field Picker Become Invisible
            Benjamin Fehr

Skip those silly recommendations by Steve Romig about screwing up your entire display setting in order to have FM look nice.

But another opportunity to advertise this:

Bug Report inventory AND Bug fix protocol by FMI

• 3. Re: Fields in Field Picker Become Invisible
              TSGal

PeterGort:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue.  I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

On a side note, setting System Preferences -> General -> Appearance to "Blue" is also helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Fields in Field Picker Become Invisible
                Malcolm

Mine is already set to blue and it is difficult to read.

I know comments aren't helpful, but it does seem odd FMI has got this one so wrong.

Adobe and a bunch of other graphics programs present grey text on a dark background. I'm aware that the rationale in those cases is to avoid contrast with the image. If you're working in a dark space, a white dialog is like having a torch shining in your eyes. I can't see how anyone could seriously propose the same rationale for FMP.  I'd hazard a guess that there are a few designers out there working in dark space. The rest of us are working in light space where the bulk of the day-to-day business workspace is built. For us, the dark text situated on a dark background is unreadable, because of the contrast with all the white or light themes!

TSGal, you'd get to see our solutions. How many come in on dark themes and how many use light themes?

If FMP was serious about offering the "right" dialogs they'd offer a switcher that toggled through  light, mid, dark.

malcolm

• 5. Re: Fields in Field Picker Become Invisible
                  TSGal

Malcolm:

I recommend posting the suggestion (light, medium and dark toggle) to our Product Ideas board at:

Product Ideas

The Product Ideas board is monitored by both Product Management and Development.  All entries are read, discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Fields in Field Picker Become Invisible
                    Vincent_L

TSGal,

with all due respect, an issue has not to be fixed by a feature request.

This is an issue solely inflicted by a very questionable decision of FMI to include transparency for purely fashion reasons, with no regards nor respect to usability at all.

Filemaker Pro is a Pro product, to increase PRODUCTIVITY. It's not there to increase the fashionistas of its developer (especially as this is something only dev will see).

Moreover, it's an inconsistency with Filemaker GUI, there's no other example (fortunately) of such a transparent GUI.

So there's no reason it shouldn't be on a solid background, like the inspector.

So stop the self satisfactionary "eh I'm using a brand new Apple GUI feature without any care for consequences" experiment, and stick to productivity.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Fields in Field Picker Become Invisible
                      Benjamin Fehr

thanks

Vincent_L

You nailed it, just in time before my Tourette Syndrom would have break loose

• 8. Re: Fields in Field Picker Become Invisible
                        Fred(CH)

If i understood correctly i think TSGal made the difference between two parts :

1. the bug of unreadable text
                        2. Malcom's suggestion to have 3 different levels of background, which is definitely a Product Idea.

However i do 100% agree with you about the unconsistant fashion choice here, and worse because it is in complete despite of productivity, as you said.

My best example is the button dialog/palette/don't know the correct name, which have same design than the Field Picker, but in worse (yes it is possible), because it does not remember its last position, whereas the field picker do AND the old Button's Format Dialog did in the past. You thus always have to move the mouse to see around the selected button driving you mad and you cannot manage correctly your workspace.

• 9. Re: Fields in Field Picker Become Invisible
                          krheinlander

Here is an AppleScript that toggles Apple system preferences on contrast, that makes the field picker dialog workable; not tested in FM16 as yet.

tell application "System Preferences"

activate

reveal anchor "Seeing_Display" of pane id "com.apple.preference.universalaccess"

delay 1

tell application "System Events"

tell process "System Preferences"

click checkbox "Increase Contrast" of window 1

delay 1

click checkbox "Reduce transparency" of window 1

end tell

end tell

end tell

tell application "System Preferences" to quit

You will need to allow script editor to on in accessibility settings under "Security and Privacy" to work.

If you compile it, you will need to allow the compiled applet access, access under accessibility settings in "Security and Privacy" to work.