12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2017 2:48 PM by philmodjunk

How to get online database

tleitzke

I am working on an inventory app, and I want to make the database singular for all the users. We currently just have normal filemaker pro 15. I have seen AWS being fairly cheap at $30/m, but not sure what other things would have to be payed for. Not sure if there is a way to also, in the same "instance" host the app too so that changes happen to all.

• 1. Re: How to get online database
          philmodjunk

Take a look at FileMaker Cloud.

• 2. Re: How to get online database
            tleitzke

I did find that page, but unsure if there were other software that I needed- such as another one to upload and manage the uploaded app, that would have to be payed for. Or if I could just upload from Pro software, and call it a day.

• 3. Re: How to get online database
              philmodjunk

Cloud is basically it for what you set up in AWS, but you do have invest time in learning how to work with AWS. There are quite a few articles, blogs, etc. on this that you can look up.

And Cloud is still a "baby", less than a year old so there are limitations to learn about before you take the plunge.

• 4. Re: How to get online database
                wimdecorte

tleitzke wrote:

Not sure if there is a way to also, in the same "instance" host the app too so that changes happen to all.

What do you mean by this?

If you host a FM file on an FileMaker Server and you make changes to it; it is automatically available to all clients.

• 5. Re: How to get online database
                  tleitzke

It was something I was unsure if the database and app were to be hosted seperate or not.

What is the difference between "BYOL" and "X Users". Ive been searching around, but little to no clue. "BYOL" appears to have cheaper prices.

• 6. Re: How to get online database
                    tleitzke

$33/m vs $770/m

• 7. Re: How to get online database
                      wimdecorte

BYOL assumes that you have already bought a license of FMS elsewhere and that you want to use it for FM Cloud.

"X users" includes the license of FileMaker Server.  The $770/month is only if you go for the hourly rate and you let the instance run 24/7; that would be madness.  If your instance is going to be always up; you need to use the annual model not the hourly model.

• 8. Re: How to get online database
                        wimdecorte

tleitzke wrote:

It was something I was unsure if the database and app were to be hosted seperate or not.

There is no such distinction with FileMaker.  The database, the UI and the scripting are all incapsulated in the file that is hosted by FMS.

• 9. Re: How to get online database
                          Jason Wood

BYOL means "Bring Your Own License". You have to have a license for FileMaker Server to use it, plus any copies of FileMaker Pro have to be licensed. The fees are for Amazon only. "X Users" gives you a price for everything you need to host and connect to the database

There are many ways to share a single FileMaker database with multiple users - which it seems is the main thing you are wondering about.

1) You can turn on sharing in FileMaker Pro, and up to 5 other users can connect to your open databases.

2) You can get FileMaker Server and set up a dedicated server machine.

3) You can outsource the hosting to Amazon or another FileMaker cloud service provider.

There are various licensing considerations depending on whether your users are using desktop, mobile, etc, so your first step is deciding how many users you have and what devices will they use to connect?

• 10. Re: How to get online database
                            tleitzke

Currently, 2 apps are used in office and are locally hosted over desktop to desktop (both have 2 users).

Then the main app that should/need online services,is an inventory/ordering app for iOS only, to be used by 3-4 users (currently 2).

We have 2 licenses for filemaker pro 15, but I couldn't find a file maker cloud license to buy, since the page brings me back around to AWS, which that doesn't say how to pay for a cloud license- or I am just missing a very small piece.

• 11. Re: How to get online database
                              Jason Wood

If you want to get FileMaker Cloud just choose the "X Users" option and get 5 users. That will allow you to connect your 2 copies of FileMaker 15 plus 5 additional users on any platform including Go.

You can then move all your databases into FileMaker cloud and have nothing stored locally.

• 12. Re: How to get online database
                                philmodjunk

FileMaker Cloud can only be used with AWS at this time. FileMaker Server on the other hand can be used with AWS or any number of FileMaker hosting services.