4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2017 9:41 AM by philmodjunk

Grow fields equally side by side

User29172

Is it possible? I have two fields, first and last name side by side. When the layout grows, I'd like both fields to grow the same width, first name anchored to left, last name anchored to right. I've tried all the anchor options and it doesn't seem possible. Is it just me!?

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 10.26.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 10.30.07 AM.png

• 1. Re: Grow fields equally side by side
          mikebeargie

no, but it's already a feature request.

It would only be possible if you did your entire UI inside of a webviewer, or as custom web publishing.

In the above case, usually we just anchor the field on the expansion edge (last name in your case) to resize to the edge, the other field on the left we leave.

Or don't do any auto-resizing, and make device specific layouts for iOS/iPad/desktop with fixed width objects.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Grow fields equally side by side
            User29172

yeah, I figured i'd have to go device specific... bummer.

i did try anchoring keeping first the same size and growing last, but the first thing the user asked was why they weren't the same size...

• 3. Re: Grow fields equally side by side
              mikebeargie

The reason I prefer device specific is actually because you can end up with ridiculously wide fields for auto-sized layouts.

Like “address 1” doesn’t really need to be 1000pt wide, just because I want to use the same layout for iPad and desktop.

If you’re doing mobile, I’d suggest three sets of layouts: “phone”, supporting a narrow portrait layout with slight expansion maybe for landspace; “tablet” with the same sized for iPads, and “desktop” with only fixed width fields.

• 4. Re: Grow fields equally side by side
                philmodjunk

Second discussion on this limitation today....

One compromise approach that I've used to adapt "grids" of layout objects to a group of similar but not identical screen dimensions is to remove all auto-size anchors. This centers the grid on the screen without resizing. I then figure out the best compromise between zooming the layout and "enlarge window contents to improve readability" to get an acceptable fit to the monitor.

This is far from perfect and requires scripting the zoom setting with a "preferences" table that specifies the zoom for each such device, but it's kept a few clients happy with my solutions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful