7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2017 7:21 PM by philmodjunk

Perform periodic validation of layouts (and tables)

marksystech

Hi,

Another customer request has come up.  They are an ISO quality managed company and their quality manager has decided that they want to know if someone changes a layout in the FileMaker portal product I've created for them.

Originally I thought we would get by without this requirement but now they've decided it will be important.  I am trying to figure out the easiest way to do this.  I'm not seeing anything in scripting that can do what I need but I'm open to ideas.

I have considered employing a screen shot utility and doing something like the following:

1) Create a dummy record with known values

2) Load the layout

3) Trigger the screen shot (hopefully I can call out to this utility)

4) Using a program I write do a CRC on the bytes in the screen shot image

5) Compare to prior saved value

As far as tables go I can only think of:

1) Create a record in the table

2) Fill all fields with known values

3) Export the record to a file

4) CRC the file

5) Compare to prior saved value

Are there easier ways to do what I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Perform periodic validation of layouts (and tables)
          planteg

Hi marksystech ,

I may be wrong, but I think such information is not available. Are there so may people that can edit the Layouts (I hope not) ? They could protect the database design by suspending the accounts that are able to edit Layouts.

• 2. Re: Perform periodic validation of layouts (and tables)
            philmodjunk

Inspector Pro can compare two copies of the same file and report on differences. FMdiff can do the same.

• 3. Re: Perform periodic validation of layouts (and tables)
              marksystech

I think they are concerned about the rogue employee

• 4. Re: Perform periodic validation of layouts (and tables)
                wimdecorte

If the users have no privileges to change a layout then this is not a valid concern...

And if it still is then the diffing tools as mentioned are the best way to do this.

• 5. Re: Perform periodic validation of layouts (and tables)
                  coherentkris

I worked extensively with a ISO certified manufacturing company that also operated under FDA rules as an auditor, a member of the quality staff AND as FMP developer for enterprise applications.

We never had this requirement come up.

I would just follow Wim's advice to make sure you restrict access with accounts and permissions.

If you can demonstrate to your manager that only you or a small subset can enact potentially destructive/dangerous changes and that you are properly managing the credentials and there assignment that should satisfy an ISO audit.

If you have business needs that require open assess then you have other problems to solve that PMJ provided a good suggestion on.

• 6. Re: Perform periodic validation of layouts (and tables)
                    keywords

A further thought to all the helpful comments and advice so far. Does your customer's "quality manager" realise that allowing staff to modify layouts means giving them open access to the file? And does he/she realise that that, in itself, surely runs counter to your (or for that matter the company's) ability to maintain standards of quality and integrity in the database? If I were in your shoes I would respond along that line rather than busting a gut trying to comply with what seems to me to be a daft requirement.

• 7. Re: Perform periodic validation of layouts (and tables)
                      philmodjunk

All good advice here. I used to be a "documents coordinator" for a manufacturing plant and ISO compliance was a major part of my job. We never had to do that with any of our database systems and I was often the guy creating/modifying them. But for the engineering and other documents that documented both the design of a product that we purchased or produced and which also documented the production process for each manufactured item we had to track all revisions with a review and approval process that was also logged. With the documents then used, we couldn't control nor automatically track changes at that time, but we did label every specification document with a version ID plus a log that documented what was changed and who had reviewed and approved those changes.

At the very most, I would think that such a log tracking who changed a part of the solution design and who approved the change (and when) in a log should be sufficient.