14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2017 12:32 PM by chats

FileMaker Looks Different - Cannot Load File

chats

I recently started at a new job and I have to use FileMaker to perform a month end function.  I practiced it last week and I didn't have any troubles.  Today when I try to do the exact same thing, FileMaker doesn't look the same when I try and load a file.  I have no idea why it doesn't.

Below is what I expect to see, but I cannot get to this screen.  I have above average computer skills, but this has tripped me up.  I'm sure it's really simple... But the solution alludes me.

Can anyone explain how I find this screen?  Thank you kindly.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Looks Different - Cannot Load File
          TSPigeon

chats:

Thank you for your post!

The "First Row Option" dialog you are receiving is usually displayed when converting a file into FileMaker Pro (such as .xlsx, .tab, .csv, etc.). After the conversion you would have your data in a FileMaker File where you can do finds, sorts, exports, or any other FileMaker function.

I'm also going to move this thread from the FileMaker Community Feedback Space (which is specifically for input on the Community itself) to the Discussions Space where you should receive more views and potentially more feedback on this topic!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Looks Different - Cannot Load File
            chats

Thank you for the reply, but I unfortunately no longer know how to get to that screen.  I need that screen to appear to be able to complete my task (I'm following step by step instructions) but when I try to import my file, this pop up to convert the file doesn't appear. 

This is the screen that appears. 

I hope that explains my issue.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Looks Different - Cannot Load File
              philmodjunk

You aren't importing data with what you are doing, you are converting a file of some non-FileMaker type--such as an Excel spreadsheet into a brand new FileMaker file. If you then try to open the converted file, you'll get the screen that you are now showing us.

I suggest that you back up and start over by describing exactly what you have and exactly what you are trying to do.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Looks Different - Cannot Load File
                TSPigeon

chats:

It looks like you were previously converting a file, but perhaps now you are just opening an existing .fmp12 file rather than the data file with a different extension?

Are you double-clicking on a .fmp12 file?

Are you dragging a file into the application or going to Browse and selecting a file?

If so, what is the file type?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Looks Different - Cannot Load File
                  chats

Thank you for the response. 

The file that I'm bringing into FileMaker is a .xlsx. 

I need to bring this file into FileMaker and then bring in a second .xlsx file that is used to populate information into a column of the first file.

These are the steps that I have.  They seemed to work last time, but I'm missing something.

__

Now we open file maker

Find your file you just created. Make sure it’s saved and closed

Just save this… it will take you to the folder you opened the file form.

Click “show all” to make sure we see them all.

__

I'm sure I'm missing something very basic... 

I have tried "Browse" and "New" and the various options under "new" but I cannot get the first screenshot to appear.

Thanks for your help.  I'm very grateful.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Looks Different - Cannot Load File
                    philmodjunk

Yes, you are missing something very basic.

To repeat from my last post. What you are doing creates a copy of the XLSX file converted into a new FileMaker file. If you want to import data from an XLSX file into a FileMaker DB file, you need to open the FileMaker File, select a layout based on the table into which you want to import your data and then use Import Records from the File menu in order to import the data.

If this is something that you do a lot, you can automated this process with a script.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Looks Different - Cannot Load File
                      chats

Thanks for the reply.  I read what you wrote... but since I am brand new, you are speaking over top of me.  I have used FileMaker once and it was following the instructions provided by my colleague who trained me (who has now left the company).

I would love to follow your instructions. 

I have no instructions about opening up a table.  The instructions on how to get the information to populate is exactly what i have shown in my screen shots above.  That is all I have. 

So here is what I see when I first open FileMaker.

Next, I want to bring in the .xlsx file so that it populates like this. 

The data that you see there is all on the .xlsx that I'm trying to import into FileMaker. 

You have instructed:  "select a layout based on the table into which you want to import your data"

I have not had to do that in the past.  As you can see in the screenshot, it says "Layout #2".  So that must just be a default of some sort... 

Again, I'm at a loss.  I realize you are trying to be helpful, but since I am brand new, I just need to know what button to press to make this work. 

Thanks!

• 8. Re: FileMaker Looks Different - Cannot Load File
                        philmodjunk

You haven't had to do that in the past because you weren't importing data, you were creating a new copy of your xlsx file in .fmp12 file format. If you have multiple xlsx files with data that you need to see all in the same FileMaker file, that will not work as this process creates a new separate filemaker file each time and no data is combined.

You need to find and open the original .fmp12 file that you created with your first conversion and open it. You have been able to do that as it shows in your screen shot where you have "scribbled over" the program data.

In that same screen there's a file menu and a layout drop down at top left. If this file was created by converting an xlsx file, there's only one table to it and you can just select import records from the file menu and follow the steps in the dialog to import your data and tell the system which columns of data in your spreadsheet should align with specific fields in the FileMaker table. Feel free to post screen shots of those dialogs if you have trouble figuring them out.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Looks Different - Cannot Load File
                          chats

Then I wish to create a new copy of my xlsx file in .fmp12 file format.  I have no need to save the data in filemaker.  I would rather just do it fresh every month so that I can use the instructions that were provided for me. 

The old data is no longer good or valid.  We import new data every month. 

Can you instruct me on how to do it knowing that I don't care or need the old data?    Or how to delete out the old stuff so that I can start fresh? 

Thanks.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Looks Different - Cannot Load File
                            philmodjunk

That contradicts what you said earlier:

"I need to bring this file into FileMaker and then bring in a second .xlsx file that is used to populate information into a column of the first file."

To get data from that second file into the FileMaker file created by the first conversion, you can't just use the process you are attempting to use as it creates a completely separate file.

To convert an xslx file, you just need to drag and drop it onto the icon for your FileMaker application. If this simply opens to a fileMaker layout like shown in your screen shots, you didn't drag and drop an xlsx file, but rather a FileMaker copy of the file that you created earlier.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Looks Different - Cannot Load File
                              chats

So when I drag and drop the .xlsx on to the FileMaker icon this is what happens:

• 12. Re: FileMaker Looks Different - Cannot Load File
                                chats

I have redone the xlsx and now I've been able to import it.  I will update if I require more help.  Thank you. 

• 13. Re: FileMaker Looks Different - Cannot Load File
                                  philmodjunk

What happens if you open that file in Excel?

Is this a file created by Excell or is some other app used to create it?

• 14. Re: FileMaker Looks Different - Cannot Load File
                                    chats

It was from excel, but it was almost as if it became corrupted.  Once I reproduced the information and saved it in excel again, I was able to drag and drop as you had suggested.  That's all it was... drag a drop. I  knew it was going to be something simple.  I'm grateful for your help.