5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2017 12:21 PM by realgrouchy

Cursor icon changes based on what is behind script workspace

realgrouchy

To reproduce:

- Have two database windows open, "A" and "B", side by side, with a button on window B

- Open the Script Workspace and place it over window B with window A visible

- Navigate to and place focus in window A

- Bring focus to the Script Workspace by clicking on the script area or the script list.

Expected results:

- The script workspace has focus

Actual results:

- The script workspace has focus, but the cursor reflects the contents of window B instead of the contents of the Script Workspace window.

For example, if you hover over the location of the button in Window B (which is obscured by the Script Workspace), the cursor changes to a hand.

Also, if you hover over the line between the list of scripts and the script work area, the cursor does not change to a <-|-> icon for resizing the script list.

Clicking the cursor produces the correct outcome and resets the cursor icon to behave correctly.

In my basic testing, if the Script Workspace is brought into focus by clicking in the header area of the Script Workspace, this issue does not seem to occur.

Although I use OS X 10.10.5 with FMPA 15.0.3, I have also checked this with FMP14 and FMP15 on 10.12. I did a quick search for similar issues to see if this was reported before but I didn't find any.

- RG>

• 1. Re: Cursor icon changes based on what is behind script workspace
          TSGal

realgrouchy:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate this issue.  This is what I have done.

1. Using FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.3 under macOS Sierra 10.12.4, I created a database file.

2. The first table, "Table", contains ID (Number) and Name (Text).

3. The second table, "Second", contains ID (Number) and Phone (Text)

4. I created a relationship between Table and Second based on ID.

5. On the Table layout, I created a portal into Second displaying the field Phone.

6. On the "Second" layout, I created a button that executes Show Custom Dialog [ "TEST" ; "TEST" ]7. After returning to the Table layout, I created a new Window, and displayed the Second layout with the button.

8. From the Table layout, I opened Script Workspace and placed it on top of the "Second" window.

9. I created a script, and I am able to move my cursor anywhere on the script, able to move the panes, etc.

Let me know what I am doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Cursor icon changes based on what is behind script workspace
            realgrouchy

Thanks for trying. I really should have produced a base case before reporting this.

Did you set the button to show a hand icon when hovering? The cursor moves and will perform actions as required, it's just the appearance of the cursor icon that renders incorrectly as I hover over things.

This specifically happens when changing focus from a window to the Script Workspace, after it is already open, and occurs only after the initial click in the Script Workspace to bring it into focus. If I click again in the Script Workspace, the cursor icon reverts to normal behaviour.

The case where it comes up for me is when I click into the script workspace and want to narrow the list of scrips on the left. I'll be in a layout window, and I'll click into the SW (e.g. the whitespace below the list of scripts in the left pane), then I'll hover my cursor over the vertical edge of the left pane waiting for the cursor icon to change to a <-|-> icon, which it doesn't, because the icon is referring to the contents of the window beneath it instead of the contents of the SW. If I click again in the SW window, the cursor will display the correct icon.

If you still can't reproduce it, I'll try to construct a base case when I am next able to, in a couple of days.

- RG>

• 3. Re: Cursor icon changes based on what is behind script workspace
              TSGal

realgrouchy:

Thank you for the additional instructions.  I am able to replicate the issue under macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Mac OS X 10.10.5, but not under Windows 10.  I also have slightly different results than what you reported.  Specifically, regardless how many times I click in the Script Workspace, even if I click in the header area of the Script Workspace, the cursor will always change to a hand cursor when it hovers over the area where the button resides beneath it.

I have forwarded your information along with a sample file to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

Filemaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Cursor icon changes based on what is behind script workspace
                TSGal

realgrouchy:

Testing and Development are aware of the drawing issue under Mac OS X.  This issue occurs with any floating window (Button Setup, Inspector, Field Picker, etc.) while using FileMaker Pro 13, FileMaker Pro 14 and FileMaker Pro 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.