9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2017 8:50 PM by wimdecorte

Single Table Experiencing Slow Down and Crashes

michaelsdk

I've been assigned to FileMaker by my company, and I'm very beginner level in regards to how to use FileMaker. We're running FileMaker Pro 15 and have 36 solutions, running on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard machine, Intel Xeon E5-2620 @ 2.10 GHz (2 processors) with 14GB of RAM. The server seems to be running fine with no hiccups.

Everything works fine except for a single table. Our Yearbooks database has been glitchy, slow, and even crashing since Monday. We perform a weekly restart of the server every Sunday at midnight. I also restarted the server last night at midnight hoping it would fix the issue. We're still running into slow performance and crashing today.

I've suggested to my manager that we could pull a backup from Friday and restore it to see if that solves the problem, but he is opposed to that idea due to the fact we've processed over 200 yearbooks to some degree in the past three days. He is afraid of the time it would take to track down and re-enter all that information. I've also tried pulling a backup from last night and running a recovery to see if anything showed up in the log file, however the recovery reported no errors.

Our guess at this point is that maybe someone imported a corrupted PDF into a container field for one of our yearbooks and maybe that's the cause of the problem. If this is possibly the cause, how do I go about determining which file is the root of the issue?

A couple more bits of information: the table we're experiencing issues with is almost 6GB in size, largely due to PDFs. It's our second largest table, with Clients being number 1 at 21GB, also largely due to PDFs. We're having zero issues with our Clients table, which leads me to believe it's not a problem with size.

Again, I'm about as green as they come with FileMaker, so I apologize if I've left out any useful information. I'll provide any additional info anyone may need in order to get this problem solved.

• 1. Re: Single Table Experiencing Slow Down and Crashes
          coherentkris

Before you restore from backup you need to make sure the backup file is not corrupted.

You can test for that by running a recover on the backup file and if it comes up clean then your reasonably safe.

DO NOT USE THE RECOVERED FILE.

Once you find a safe file run a recover on the defective file, export the data, replace the defect with the safe and import the data from the defect.

Then find out why the file got corrupted (scanned/indexed/backed up while hosted, power failure, disk failure etc ) and enact some kind of corrective action.

• 2. Re: Single Table Experiencing Slow Down and Crashes
            philmodjunk

to quote the OP:

I've also tried pulling a backup from last night and running a recovery to see if anything showed up in the log file, however the recovery reported no errors.

BTW, you may be new to FileMaker, but your methods are good.

You might try a bit of sleuthing to see if you can narrow down when you get this issue. Might it be specific to a particular layout?

Sometimes damaged layouts are not detected by recover and fixing them can sometimes be as simple as deleting that layout and building a new layout "from scratch" to replace it. That can be a big job, but sometimes it's your best option.

From what you have said about file sizes, you might want to research using external storage with your container fields. It won't help with this issue AFAIK, but it should bring down your file sizes.

• 3. Re: Single Table Experiencing Slow Down and Crashes
              michaelsdk

You might try a bit of sleuthing to see if you can narrow down when you get this issue. Might it be specific to a particular layout?

Sometimes damaged layouts are not detected by recover and fixing them can sometimes be as simple as deleting that layout and building a new layout "from scratch" to replace it. That can be a big job, but sometimes it's your best option.

It does seem to be happening on our Production Tracking layout, however this is the layout in edit mode: FileMaker Yearbooks Production Layout - Album on Imgur

As you can see, there's a lot of fields, script triggers, etc. I don't even know how many actual scripts are tied to this single layout based off what our employees do to it.

Does FileMaker have any way of potentially narrowing down where the culprit is? Or could I simply duplicate the layout and remove a feature at a time to see if I can achieve better performance?

EDIT: I only included the most commonly used tabs in the imgur album. All of them are eventually used, however these are the heaviest.

• 4. Re: Single Table Experiencing Slow Down and Crashes
                Jason Wood

Here are a few things to try:

Make a copy of the database and delete all the new records. Does this solve the problem?

Can you be sure there were no schema changes since it was working normally on Friday?

When it crashes, does it shut right down or just stall forever?

Do you have FileMaker Advanced? Use the script debugger to see if a trigger is getting you into an endless loop.

Try duplicating the layout and delete any unstored calculation fields and summary fields. Do you still have problems with this layout?

• 5. Re: Single Table Experiencing Slow Down and Crashes
                  coherentkris

Phil.

if this is the case "Sometimes damaged layouts are not detected by recover" you should put repair the recover process in as a product idea. Ill vote for it

• 6. Re: Single Table Experiencing Slow Down and Crashes
                    Jason Wood

Also keep in mind that if this IS corruption, you should revert to your backup but that doesn't mean you have to manually re-enter all that info. You can import it.

• 7. Re: Single Table Experiencing Slow Down and Crashes
                      mikeo'neil

Michael

Have you examined the “Event Logs” on the server and were there any error messages from FMS? Even though the general opinion is a layout/bad pdf it still is a simple way to eliminate a couple of things.

Good Luck,

Mike

• 8. Re: Single Table Experiencing Slow Down and Crashes
                        gdurniak

A Google search for "filemaker 15 container slow" offers a few suggestions, e.g.

https://community.filemaker.com/thread/75691

But since your larger file works, that may not be the problem

Finding a bad PDF would be tedious trial & error.  Run a backup copy, and delete the PDF's in batches, until the problem goes away

greg

> the table we're experiencing issues with is almost 6GB in size, largely due to PDFs. It's our second largest table, with Clients being number 1 at 21GB, also largely due to PDFs.

We're having zero issues with our Clients table, which leads me to believe it's not a problem with size.

• 9. Re: Single Table Experiencing Slow Down and Crashes
                          wimdecorte

michaelsdk wrote:

Our Yearbooks database has been glitchy, slow, and even crashing since Monday.

Can you specify what the 'crashing' looks like?  Does it crash the client or the server?  In either case, what does the crash report say?