AnsweredAssumed Answered

Single Table Experiencing Slow Down and Crashes

Question asked by michaelsdk on Apr 5, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 5, 2017 by wimdecorte

I've been assigned to FileMaker by my company, and I'm very beginner level in regards to how to use FileMaker. We're running FileMaker Pro 15 and have 36 solutions, running on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard machine, Intel Xeon E5-2620 @ 2.10 GHz (2 processors) with 14GB of RAM. The server seems to be running fine with no hiccups.

Everything works fine except for a single table. Our Yearbooks database has been glitchy, slow, and even crashing since Monday. We perform a weekly restart of the server every Sunday at midnight. I also restarted the server last night at midnight hoping it would fix the issue. We're still running into slow performance and crashing today.

I've suggested to my manager that we could pull a backup from Friday and restore it to see if that solves the problem, but he is opposed to that idea due to the fact we've processed over 200 yearbooks to some degree in the past three days. He is afraid of the time it would take to track down and re-enter all that information. I've also tried pulling a backup from last night and running a recovery to see if anything showed up in the log file, however the recovery reported no errors.

Our guess at this point is that maybe someone imported a corrupted PDF into a container field for one of our yearbooks and maybe that's the cause of the problem. If this is possibly the cause, how do I go about determining which file is the root of the issue?

A couple more bits of information: the table we're experiencing issues with is almost 6GB in size, largely due to PDFs. It's our second largest table, with Clients being number 1 at 21GB, also largely due to PDFs. We're having zero issues with our Clients table, which leads me to believe it's not a problem with size.

Again, I'm about as green as they come with FileMaker, so I apologize if I've left out any useful information. I'll provide any additional info anyone may need in order to get this problem solved.

Outcomes