9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2017 9:16 AM by kazznfx

List View gets cut off with new window - Bug?

Vinny

Windows 10, filemaker 15.

I have a layout based on list view.  When I open a new window on top of it, and then close the new window, the list view no longer extends the full length of the screen.  Even if I place objects on the rows with right anchoring.

This only happens when I have the windows maximized.  It almost appears as if it cuts off the rows to the width of the window if it wasn't maximized.

Any one else seeing this?

• 1. Re: List View gets cut off with new window - Bug?
          philmodjunk

When windows are maximized, they drop out of that maximized state and the windows thus change size Each time a new window is opened. Is this change in size what is cutting off your list?

• 2. Re: List View gets cut off with new window - Bug?
            Vinny

It's possible that this is happening in the background.  Basically, I have a window which is maximized.  I then open a new window (from the window menu). the new window opens maximized Since the original was maximized.  I now close the new window.  The original window is now in focus and is still maximized.  But the list view is cut off on the right side.  note that the windows are always maximized, but it seems like filemaker is working / doing things to maintain that appearance (The flickering appears to be a result of filemaker resizing windows).  Is this more clear?

• 3. Re: List View gets cut off with new window - Bug?
              philmodjunk

Interesting, they seem to have changed some behavior that was quite annoying in older versions of FileMaker here.

Can you post a screen shot that shows what you describe?

• 4. Re: List View gets cut off with new window - Bug?
                Vinny

Here are the before and after pictures.  Picture 1 shows the list view layout.  I then go to Window->New Window to open a new window.  Then I close the new window, and the result is what you see in the second picture.  You can see that the rows are cut off, and there is even a button that is no longer visible at the end of the row.  This layout has a top navigation and header parts.  Zoom / status bar is hidden, but I get the same results if they are not.  The size of the gap appears related to the size of the window in its unmaximized state.

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

• 5. Re: List View gets cut off with new window - Bug?
                  Vinny

One more thing I learned.  This happens only when I use a button tied to a single step "Close Window".  But it doesn't happen when I use the built in close window "X" in the top right corner of the window.

Also, I created a script that uses the close window step, but I follow it with an adjust window (maximize) script step and it removes the issue.

• 6. Re: List View gets cut off with new window - Bug?
                    Vaughan

I'd say the issue is that your layout is designed to completely use all the  width available when the window is maximized. When the window becomes un-maximized (restored) the maximum width is reduced by a dozen or so pixels.

Solution: design the layout for a slightly smaller width.

By the looks of your screen shots you're designing the interface for a large monitor with HD or higher resolution. Are you allowing for users on 1366x768 screens? That's a common size for laptops.

• 7. Re: List View gets cut off with new window - Bug?
                      Vinny

Thanks for your comment, but how is that even relevant?  The body section of the layout is being cut off!  I don't even get a scroll bar to see the whole width.

Just so you know this layout was designed at a width of 1024!

Also, there is no step to un-maximize the window.  I have the window fully maximized, open a new window on top of it, and then close this top window with a button that has a single step assigned to it (Close window step).  The window is not being un-maximized at any point.

The resulting (cut off) width of the list view clearly appears to be a bug, as if it didn't redraw itself.  It looks like it has no issue extending the header regions, but not the body.  I've also completely lost view of a button as well.

I'd say it's not the design of the layout.  I'd say this is a bug.

• 8. Re: List View gets cut off with new window - Bug?
                        philmodjunk

Use report an issue section of this forum to report this to FileMaker. You can include a link to this discussion if you want.

• 9. Re: List View gets cut off with new window - Bug?
                          kazznfx

I've had all kinds of issues w/ FileMaker rendering on Windows.

The issue here appears to be Windows 10. I've spent days on the phone with FM trying to figure out all of the visual issues but some of them are not yet soluble.

The good news is that these issues will likely be address with a future release. They are moving to an integrated window design (like on OS X) and we expect that would simply eliminate many of these problems.