6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2017 7:44 AM by supermom

How do I import new data from Excel into existing FM without displacing added information?

supermom

I'm working with an existing FM Pro file, attempting to import new data. I have no problem with that part, but when I import, the data that I've entered that isn't imported stays where it is, it doesn't follow the info it needs to be attached to.

I have info, such as Name, Phone #, Email address, Adviser, City, High School, Gender.

I enter email dates, phone contact dates, contact results and notes. <------ THIS information doesn't follow the record I enter it for. It stays in, say record 3, even if new data is imported to it. How can I fix this? This was the main point of getting FM Pro.

• 1. Re: How do I import new data from Excel into existing FM without displacing added information?
          kazznfx

Hi There,

I'm not sure I actually understand the question but I'm happy to try to help.

If you can give us a step-by-step of what you're trying to accomplish and what you did, I'm sure we can figure out what's going astray.

If I had to guess, it seems like this is just an issue of the import settings. If you're trying to update existing records, there's an option for that, but you'll need to properly match the records in your excel to the records in FileMaker.

I can't say for sure, but this issues seems perfectly soluble, if we can just get a little more info on what's going on.

• 2. Re: How do I import new data from Excel into existing FM without displacing added information?
            taylorsharpe

Are each of these fields (Name, Phone #, Email, etc.) in separate columns in Excel?  Can you upload a sample Excel document with fake data so we can look at it?  Are you importing it or having FM open and convert the Excel spreadsheet?  If importing, we will want to look at how you matched up columns with FM fields. 

• 3. Re: How do I import new data from Excel into existing FM without displacing added information?
              supermom

I have 110 records in my FM database. I've got 11 additional records to import from Excel:

File --> Import Records --> File --> Excel spreadsheet --> Open --> Appropriate tab in spreadsheet.

All Source and Target fields are exact (no change to either document since last save).

Import Action:

"Update existing records in found set"

"Add remaining data as new records"

"Don't import first record (contains field names)"

((Import))

When I go to, say, record 3, which, before the import had name Morgan Henry**, it now says Chloe Richards**. All "Notes" info I entered for Morgan' contact notes, is now in Chloe's record, NOT in Morgan's.

**Not real names.

• 4. Re: How do I import new data from Excel into existing FM without displacing added information?
                philmodjunk

And your import did exactly what you told it to do, not what you wanted it to do.

You want "update matching records", Not "update existing records" in your found set.

You will need to select match fields that correctly match your data to the existing records that should be updated. Since there is no unique ID column in your data, you'll need to be careful of things like duplicate names and even duplicate phone numbers when devising a matching field strategy.

Also, be care to show all records on the layout for this table before importing or you can get a new record just because there was no matching record in the found set.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How do I import new data from Excel into existing FM without displacing added information?
                  kazznfx

Yeah just a note, like Phil said, you'll probably want a matching field.

If you can come up w/ a unique combination of fields then you'll probably be able to make it work. If not, you may want to make a temporary key by concatenating all of your Excel columns e.g. Concat (a,b,c,d). Then create a field in your DB concatenating the same fields in the same order.

This will let FM match unique records to their counterparts in your workbook.

It may also be a good idea to remove any spaces or unneeded characters from your key field using the substitue function in both Excel and FM. Your keys will need to match exactly.

Once that's taken care of, you'll be able to make this work even if you have duplicate names etc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How do I import new data from Excel into existing FM without displacing added information?
                    supermom

Thank you, the "update matching fields" worked. It now does exactly as I ask.

I knew if I asked here, I could find the answer.