1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 6, 2017 10:24 AM by monteric

Field Validation Error

monteric

I have a number field in a database that has the following attributes. (please see attached files).  When another field in the record that contains the ItemNo is modified, the error message that shows is "Item No is defined to contain unique values.  You must enter a valid value!" which is a filemaker message and not my custom message.  Even if I turn off all validation requirements it still shows.  Help!

System converted from Filemaker 5.5 to 15.

Files being served FM Server 15

FM Advanced Client

Mac OS X El Capitan v 10.11.6

• 1. Re: Field Validation Error
          philmodjunk

I don't think that you have all validation rules turned off. I would guess that Item no has "unique values" specified as a validation field option and it's the source of your validation error message. And I can see that option specified in your screen shot.

While you can clear that check box, you might instead want to consider why you have a record with a non-unique item no. if this field should be unique in the table where it's defined.

• 2. Re: Field Validation Error
            monteric

Thank you very much for the quick reply.  I have to apologize for my oversight in that the item field was duplicated and named something else in the process of developing a new feature and all of the same validation and message was on.  Sorry for the fire drill!!