6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2017 2:43 PM by ezeitgeist

printing PDF issue

ezeitgeist

I am printing labels. I have a layout that has a record formatted for each specific label.

When I Save As PDF, the PDF is messed up. It should be 3 rows of records, in standard label format. Instead, the first record on each PDF page it shows like the top 4/5ths of the top line, and then the rest of the page is blank. See below for a screenshot of a page.

Is this a glitch others have run into or could I be saving incorrectly? It was working in the past and I don't think I modified anything. I had a script to do it and so in addition tested just me going to the layout and Saving As PDF to my local desktop and got the exact same issue.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 6.22.08 PM.png

• 1. Re: printing PDF issue
          rgordon

Did you select Records Being Browsed in the PDF dialog?  Also can you show a screen shot of your PDF layout in layout mode.

• 2. Re: printing PDF issue
            ezeitgeist

Yes, "Records Being Browsed" was selected.

layout in browse and layout mode. The << >> do go off the area, but they never do in actual browse mode (they are not hard returns, but most are comma separated). The naming is just long.

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 3.37.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 3.37.30 PM.png

• 3. Re: printing PDF issue
              rgordon

Your text need to fit into the body.  Not across the header and body.  Your can increase the width of the text object so that the city state and zip are on the same line.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: printing PDF issue
                rgordon

Another option is to create a calc called csz which would put together the city, state and zip.  Then use <<Companies::csz>> Or you could create a label calc that has everything in it.  Or you can reduce the font size of everything except the first < for each field.  The first < will determine the font size for the field.

• 5. Re: printing PDF issue
                  annr

As rgordon said, FMP gets confused whenever a text block extends across multiple Parts in the layout. One way to get around this is with a calculated field. If you have a List or simple concatenation with all that info in a single field, very long instances may get truncated, but the averages will fit better.

-- Ann

• 6. Re: printing PDF issue
                    ezeitgeist

You beautiful geniuses (geniusi?)! That was it. Got it working by doing a joint calc field for csz and changing the font beyond the opening "<" of each << >>. What a weird quirk. It is good to know, much appreciated!