10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2017 5:52 AM by beverly

create list of usb files

vrapide

Many usb flash drives with media files. Can I create db using directory info from macos Sierra?

• 1. Re: create list of usb files
          alecgregory

Possibly using the free BaseElements plugin: BE_ListFilesInFolder – BaseElements Plugin Help Centre

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: create list of usb files
            vrapide

Thanks!

TextWrangler actually does this. If you drag a Drive icon onto the TW window it retrieves the complete file contents which are then sortable by line and of course easy to edit. My problem solved.

--

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: create list of usb files
              beverly

FYI: TextWrangler will be going bye bye:

Bare Bones Software | TextWrangler

beverly

• 4. Re: create list of usb files
                vrapide
                Correct answer would be: BBedit will do the same thing, so no worries. --
                • 5. Re: create list of usb files
                  beverly

Any text editor will work. You can select all in a directory and paste into the editor.

But what a pain to copy/paste.

beverly

p.s. BBEdit owner/user for decades

• 6. Re: create list of usb files
                    vrapide

"Any text editor will work." ??

No, in order to be able to SORT line by line you need either a full word processor

or one of these much smaller but capable editors like TextWrangler etc. You cannot use

TextEdit or Notes; neither program even offers a SORT function.

If you drag a usb icon into TextEdit it warns "Do you really want to copy the contents

of the dragged items into the text?" [alias/cancel/copy]. What would your answer be?

I assume that this warning implies that TextEdit will try to copy the entire digital

contents of the 125 gb usb drive, ouch. Whereas TextWrangler/BB simply copy the

structure of the files that are on the usb drive for us to edit and sort. When my Master

List of short lines reaches 10,000, if suspect TW will keep asking for more.

--

• 7. Re: create list of usb files
                      beverly

sorry, what part of Copy/Paste is a problem? I would never drag/drop.

In Finder, select all, copy the list (presorted) of files and then paste wherever. Paste into text editor and save as .txt, import into FileMaker and sort (if not to your liking).

I just used the built-in Text Edit (MacOS) and an editor "Tex-Edit Plus" to test. Folders within will not have an extension. If you want all (even in folders), open/expand the folders and copy/paste.

Not fun, but does in a pinch.

beverly

• 8. Re: create list of usb files
                        vrapide

Have I not been clear about what I'm trying to do? I.E. create Master Lists

of title, year and location: a very minimal amount of data that needs to be

easy to access, process and maintain. Logically I plan to have separate

Lists for Movies, Music videos, Recordings(audio), Books, Vehicles, etc.

For the big Lists, which can easily reach 10,000 entries, working out an

efficient routine is paramount. For the lesser Lists the intention is to

treat them the same way even if this might seem a bit more work.

I've looked around for an App that can do this on MacOS but I'm an old

timer, pre-Internet, but to be truthful, not a programmer. I could probably

make a Script to do this but .  .  . I started with my first List a couple

years ago using Word for Mac with a single column but that work was left

behind a couple years ago 1500 miles away (it had reached 1200 lines) so

I'm starting all over again. The procedure is to build the usb drive first,

then add to the List by the simplest method. Dragging the Drive Icon onto

TextWrangler/BB works fine and is sortable and editable. If you can use

another method that will be sortable in either of the Edit programs that

are included in SierraOS then please explain exactly how you managed to do

this - I would be very interested.

I cannot follow the steps you describe. Are you using two separate editors?

Please explain and I will try to replicate. I have TW and BB but not FM as

TW does this just fine. Still it would be nice to use a simple App that

would be bulletproof by providing full backup for you automatically.

VR

--

• 9. Re: create list of usb files
                          vrapide

I can only SORT using TW (or BB) or Word for MacOS, so what is your point?

VR

--

• 10. Re: create list of usb files
                            beverly

your request:

create db using directory info from macos Sierra

I merely gave a way to GET the names of the directory files, that I have had to use in the past. No, there is no other directory data with copy (of the selected names) & paste (into any editor), but saving as text can IMPORT (into FM or other db).

Please ignore any of my comments that were not helpful. I'll refrain from replying again.