5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2017 11:29 AM by philmodjunk

FM cloud and other hosts

vm1

Hi,

I've recently purchased FM15 Pro and am looking at hosting from the server to the cloud. I've heard mixed reviews on FM Cloud and am wondering whether anyone can offer advice from personal experience or whether it might be a more viable option to host through another company as opposed to AWS? I've read about the pros and cons between FM server and FM cloud but am unsure how the FM cloud compares to other virtual hosts...

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: FM cloud and other hosts
          Jaymo

I don't have any clients using FileMaker Cloud but I have many clients using third party hosting services. I recommend picking your hosting company wisely. Make sure they have a server location near where you will be connecting most of the time, if that's possible. Some hosting services are only based on one coast or the other. I would also recommend contacting them and see if they answer the phone or respond to your email in a timely manner. This is all important when that inevitable issue occurs. In other words, it's not all about price. Go with a company who has good service.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FM cloud and other hosts
            vm1

Thank you Jaymo for your quick response!

I have previously read that FM cloud should be the only software that should open a FM database however if you haven't had any previous issue with third party hosting then I will look more into companies that provide this.

Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: FM cloud and other hosts
              Jaymo

You're welcome! I'm sure some other experts here will have some good stuff to say so don't make a decision yet.

• 4. Re: FM cloud and other hosts
                PointInSpace

We have been providing professional FileMaker hosting for over 18 years.

We offer the full capabilities of FileMaker Server on our shared hosting accounts and virtual dedicated servers, unlike the FileMaker Cloud offering, and do not have any surprise fees like AWS.  Full management and support is also included with all of our services - a big differentiator.

Contact me privately if you want more information, either here or email to jmay(at)pointinspace.com.  Thanks!

- John

• 5. Re: FM cloud and other hosts
                  philmodjunk

I have previously read that FM cloud should be the only software that should open a FM database

Either that's a quote taken out of context, misunderstood or just plain wrong.

FileMaker Server, FileMaker Pro, FileMaker Advanced, FileMaker Go could all be used to open an FM database in different contexts and for different purposes but they could definitely be used to open an FM database.

Both Server, Pro and Advanced could be used to host a DB in order for other clients to access a shared database, though Hosting by anything but Server or Cloud is not recommended except for very limited "testing" type situations.

1 of 1 people found this helpful