If you can get the file that you want to import into your FileMaker Servers Document Path, you can import the file into FileMaker.
But why are you using first export and then import? Much better that you do a Loop and set records where you can control each record making sure data is correct and it end up at the correct place
I have specified the path in the Import Records dialogue box - but its not picking it up. when i import.
Your question, "But why are you using first export and then import?" I'm not using export, just import. I'm using import instead of loop because its simpler and I think faster. Loop is an option, but in this scenario, I think import is good - but maybe I'm missing something.
FileMaker Server Mac/Pc?
You need to have that file at FileMaker Server Document folder. Is the file really there or at users computer?
The Filemaker file is hosted with a Filemaker hosting company. I am importing from a table that resides in the actual Filemaker file - so it is self contained.
When developing things for WebDirect, what I do is to choose only to see Scripts Steps available for FileMaker WebDirect.
Do your Script and tables have the correct permissions in Security to Import and change records?
I have only one user - myself - with full access. I have checked checked compatibility with Web Direct in the 'Script Workplace' window and nothing is 'greyed' out.
A import should work then!
I would still do a Loop to control data
When using this script step in FileMaker WebDirect, keep the following in mind:
• FileMaker WebDirect does not support this script step in mobile browsers.
• FileMaker WebDirect does not support the Perform without dialog or Specify data source options.
• FileMaker WebDirect only supports importing from Comma-Separated Text, Tab-Separated Text, DBF, Merge, and Excel file formats.
I'm reading very mixed message about this post.
- On page 18 of 'Filemaker 15 Web Direct' Guide - it appears you can import.
- On a post/discussion in 2014 on this forum - WebDirect Clients Cannot Import FileMaker Pro Records From/To Itself? - its appears it could be possible, but the conversation is confusing.
- On another post on this forum - Web Direct and Import/Export - there seems to be some possibilities, but it's difficult to see if it's truly possible - again I found the discussion confusing.
I'm just wondering has anyone successfully imported (using Web Direct) from one Filemaker table to another Filemaker table using the same file as the souce of the table.
There is no way to "import records from current file" on any platform, you need specifying data source anytime.
To specify you can use variable with Get function.
WebD doesn't support import from FM file nor specify data source in script step.
You can use "Perform script on Server" for your job, but server script can't import from FM file, then
export records (some text format, to temporary or documents folder on host)
import records (from text file)
Or, if you can share the file on ODBC sharing, you can import from ODBC source on PSOS.
There may be an misunderstanding, with my term 'file'. However it is possible to import from a table in a Filemaker file into another table in the same file. I do it all the time with monthly invoices.
I say "current file", mean "same file" in your term. You can import from same file, but you need to specify (choose) the file, as same as import from another file.