11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2017 5:56 PM by William-Porter

Filemaker Pro 13 login

TobyGross

I have a database on a server were i access it via remote on filemaker pro 13 and every time I have to enter the username and password, I like when i open it on my ipad or phone which i have filemaker 14 and it save the paswords,,,,,

Any solution on what I can do to save username and passwords in filemaker pro 13?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 login
          taylorsharpe

You can auto login and basically bypass all security or try to create your own security after auto login.  But that is fraught with security vulnerabilities, etc.  Why not upgrade?  It will solve those problems and give you some nice new functions too. 

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 login
            William-Porter

Toby,

Let's start with the basic idea: You need to protect your database and its data. So a login is necessary.

When you access your database in iOS, you're NOT skipping the login. The login has simply been saved in the device's Keychain. You can do exactly the same thing on your computer, at least on a Mac. When you open the database and see the dialog asking you for your account and password, click the "Save in Keychain" box before htting the submit button.

saveinkeychain.png

Now I want to say right away: THIS IS NOT IDEAL. If somebody steals your device and knows how to get into it (say, they observed you typing your unlock code) they'd be able to get into your database. My personal policy is to never, ever save full-access logins to Keychain. All of my developer accounts are stored in 1Password.

But here's the tricky part about all security questions: Security decisions always involve compromises between real protection and convenience. The more convenient you make access, the less secure it gets. That's just a fact. So for many users, the convenience of being able to get into the database 15 times a day without typing a password is more important than the risk that somebody will steal their computer and the password to their computer and then be able to get into their databases without any effort.

One moral: For the love of Zeus, make sure that you have a good password on your computer!!

Will

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 login
              Jason Wood

Actually, the "Save password in Keychain Access" was only added in version 14. Then in version 15, we received the ability to turn it off in File Options.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 login
                philmodjunk

and there does not appear to be any reason for TobyGross not to upgrade FileMaker Go to version 15.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 login
                  William-Porter

Jason,

I would have sworn that clients of mine have been saving their FileMaker passwords on their computers in Keychain for a very long time — well before FileMaker 13. Am I wrong?

Or have I misunderstood the OP? I thought the OP's problem isn't on iOS but on the computer.

Will

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 login
                    philmodjunk

But could they save it in FileMaker GO on an iOS device?

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 login
                      William-Porter

Here again is that Toby G., the OP, said:

<<I have a database on a server w[h]ere i access it via remote on filemaker pro 13 and every time I have to enter the username and password, I like when i open it on my ipad or phone which i have filemaker 14 and it save the paswords,,,,,>>

Which I interpret to mean: User is on FileMaker Pro 13 (on a computer) and is annoyed at having to enter password. He'd like to open the database directly WITHOUT entering password the way he's able to do when he opens it on his iPhone or iPad.  Toby, if I'm misrepresenting your problem please correct.

If I'm right, then it doesn't matter when "save to keychain" was introduced in FileMaker Go. He doesn't have a problem with FileMaker Go. He's got a problem with FileMaker PRO. On a computer. And as I said, I could swear that it's been possible to save passwords in Pro on a computer for a bunch of years. I don't have a copy of FileMaker 13 handy to try this out and I can't find a version history that will tell me when this was introduced, so I'm hoping somebody can either confirm that I'm right (in which case the OP's question has been answered) or correct me (for which I will be grateful).

Will

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 login
                        Jason Wood

I was mistaken that the option to turn that off was new in 15. The option "Allow Keychain Access to save password" was new in 14, according to KB article below. In 15, it was enhanced for iOS to add the option to require iOS passcode before using Keychain.

I don't recall if 13 and earlier versions allowed you to use Keychain but I thought not and the OP's question suggests not.

FileMaker Go 15 - Keychain enhancements - Passcode and Touch ID | FileMaker

"Introduced in FileMaker 14, a File Option was added to a database file allowing users to save their Account name and Password to the keychain."

• 9. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 login
                          William-Porter

I just checked. The option to save your password in the MACINTOSH OS Keychain was there at least as early as FileMaker 11 — and I think long before that.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 login
                            Jason Wood

I stand corrected then.

TobyGross, do you see the option to save in Keychain in your login dialog box? If yes, and it's not working, try opening the Keychain Access Application in Utilities folder, and delete any entries relating to FileMaker, then try again.

• 11. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 login
                              William-Porter

Earlier in this thread I posted a screenshot of the login dialog. It shows exactly what the OP will see when he's asked to log in. The "save password in Keychain access" checkbox should be there.