1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2017 5:07 AM by brentbollmeier

Open Remote going to wrong server

brentbollmeier

Over the last few months, I've set up a proper development/production server environment, using a FM developer license for my development environment.  However, Sometimes when I try to open a file in my production environment, FileMaker Advanced actually opens the copy of the same file on my development server. If I completely close the FMA application and re-open it, it usually works properly, but not always.  (And closing everything and reopening them isn't always the most practical endeavor...)

As a bit of background, my production server resides in a Hyper-V virtual machine.  To configure the development server, I duplicated my production server VM, uninstalled FMS15, and installed the FMS Development License software.

Is there some sort of configuration step I'm missing?

Regards,

Brent

• 1. Re: Open Remote going to wrong server
          philmodjunk

Might you have external data source references that use an IP address?

• 2. Re: Open Remote going to wrong server
            dtcgnet

When you use Open Remote, FMP will show you files from the last server you visited (after you enter credential information).

If you use Open Remote and navigate to your production server, then use Open Remote again, the production server will be the server in focus. If you then select the Dev server and select a file, then the next time you use Open Remote, the Dev server will be the one in focus. It's working as it should.

If you use "Open Recent", the name of the server will be displayed in parentheses after each file name.

HTH.

• 3. Re: Open Remote going to wrong server
              brentbollmeier

Hi dtcgnet, I'm afraid I'm a little confused.  You're saying I need to use "Open Remote" Twice?

Here's an example that I just replicated...  I opened a file called Calendar from server FMS15-DEV.  I did an Open Remote, Clicked the Hosts tab, selected FMS15 (my production server), selected my Calendar file, and clicked Open. However, it opened the file from FMS15-DEV, not FMS15 like I selected.

If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know.

Thanks very much.

• 4. Re: Open Remote going to wrong server
                dtcgnet

Sorry. No. I'm saying that every time you use Open Remote, FMP will default to the server you last selected.

Double check the "Host's Internet Address" (which might be an IP address or might be a domain name) for each server. The NAME of the server will be less important than whatever you've entered in Host's Internet Address.

Go to Open Remote. Double click on your FMS15 server. Note the Internet Address. Do the same on FMS15-DEV. That's where I'd look next.

• 5. Re: Open Remote going to wrong server
                  brentbollmeier

Yup.  Checked that.  One is Z-FM2.local, other is Z-FM2-2.local.

Not the best choices for host names admittedly, but it should work.

• 6. Re: Open Remote going to wrong server
                    dtcgnet

There are two fields: 1) Host's Internet Address and 2) Favorite Host's Name. The name you give there can be anything at all. The Host's Internet Address wouldn't be in the format of Z-FM2.local. It would have to be a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name such as fmdbs.bollmeier.com or it would be an IP address of the form 192.168.10.0.

These are single-file solutions you're opening...is that correct?

• 7. Re: Open Remote going to wrong server
                      brentbollmeier

Oh, no... These have a number of external data sources.

I can try IP addresses tomorrow. I didn't have any favorites saved since there are only two, so I was letting Filemaker discover them.

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

• 8. Re: Open Remote going to wrong server
                        Menno

Which OS are you using? MacOS or Windows? Which FileMaker client are you using? Standard or Advanced?

• 9. Re: Open Remote going to wrong server
                          brentbollmeier

Running Windows 2012R2 on the server, Win7 Pro on the client with FileMakerPro Advanced 15.0.3.305.

The complete Network path names that are being auto-discovered are fmnet:/Z-FM2.local/ and fmnet:/Z-FM2-2.local/. They're saved as such if I make them favorites.

• 10. Re: Open Remote going to wrong server
                            dtcgnet

In a Data Viewer window, click the Watch tab and enter Get ( HostIPAddress ). Make sure you open something on your production server. Check the IP address. Do the same with the other server. In your Open Remote dialog, click on your Production Server, and enter its IP address. Do the same with the other server. Give that a shot and let us know how it goes.

• 11. Re: Open Remote going to wrong server
                              Menno

Unfortunately on Windows it isn't possible to open more than one instance of the same fm-version. On Macos you could use the terminal to open an extra instance.

How are your external data-sources defined? As file:... or as fmnet:....? The best way is to use file:.... that way the external files will only open from the same server as where the file is opened from which calls the external datasource.

• 12. Re: Open Remote going to wrong server
                                brentbollmeier

Yup -- both calls to get(hostname) return 192.168.168.17, the local IP of the development server. 

All of the EDSs use the file: definition, that way I can simply move files to the proper server without relinking them. But it's like it doesn't even get that far -- it fetches the original source FM file from the wrong place.

Perhaps this is a network thing, not a FM thing?

• 13. Re: Open Remote going to wrong server
                                  dtcgnet

I have VMs on AWS. I secure them with SSL certificates. In my Open Remote dialogs, I use the FQDN (e.g., ProdSvr.yourcompany.com or DevSvr.yourcompany.com). I get the little green padlock icon that users (and me) like so much.

Your references are picking up the first server that they encounter, and the second (hence the -2). That's why you're getting unpredictable results.

If your users are only opening one file on one server typically, you can provide them with a clickable startup file that simply launches the database on your server and closes.

You're close to what you want, I think.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Open Remote going to wrong server
                                    CarlSchwarz

brentbollmeier wrote:

As a bit of background, my production server resides in a Hyper-V virtual machine. To configure the development server, I duplicated my production server VM, uninstalled FMS15, and installed the FMS Development License software.

Is there some sort of configuration step I'm missing?

Regards,

Brent

Perhaps.  In the FileMaker server admin console, under web server does the IP address say the same thing on both servers?  IIRC you want to go to the workgroup settings and change the computername / workgroup.  Then rerun the FileMaker server setup (open the fmsadmin console and click edit deployment).  After that the server should pickup the new name.

I duplicated a VM not long ago and I did something like that.

If that is not the issue then the workaround that you could do is create a local "Launcher" file pointing to your new file: How to create a way to quickly open networked files in FileMaker Pro | FileMaker

1 2 Previous Next