1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2017 3:39 PM by beverly

Add Vertical Lines to Print Layout

tcwaters

I have a print layout that I'm working on that needs to look like a MS Word table layout with both vertical lines between columns and horizontal lines between rows. The problem I'm having is that the height of the row may vary depending on the amount of data.  I have the fields set to "slide up..." and "also resize..." so without lines, the layout behaves as I need. But, I can't figure out how to add the vertical lines and still have it do the "also resize." What happens is the row height becomes fixed based upon the height of the line I draw.  Is there a way to get this to work as I want?

THX

• 1. Re: Add Vertical Lines to Print Layout
          Jason Wood

I can think of 2 ways to deal with this:

1) Instead of a line, use a right or left border on a field which is itself set to resize/slide up.

2) Background image fill

#1 is finicky and works best if you always know which is going to be your tallest field. Then, to put lines in locations other than immediately to the left or right of that field, you need to copy that entire field, do not resize it, change the text colour to white, send to back, and reposition it so that either the left or right edge ends up where you want a line. If you don't know which field is going to be your tallest, you'll have to use multiple fields layered on top of each other... gets a bit messy!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Add Vertical Lines to Print Layout
            philmodjunk

The field border method doesn't work as the fields in a given row are not always all the same height and you get gaps.

But you can draw a vertical line on the body and extend it exactly one pixel into the border between the body and the next part below it.

That extra pixel can cause appearance issues, but the vertical line should not continuously span all the body parts.

A background "fill" might be interesting here Jason.

• 3. Re: Add Vertical Lines to Print Layout
              Jason Wood

I edited my answer as option 1 is not as easy as I first thought but still doable. Also remember you can use padding to push the line out to the side and also to extend it vertically above and below the field content.

• 4. Re: Add Vertical Lines to Print Layout
                philmodjunk

I don't think that will work consistently even with those modifications. The "tallest row" might be 3 text lines tall in one row and only 1 line tall in the other. That padding trick, sounds to me like something that will return you to fixed portal row sizes.

• 5. Re: Add Vertical Lines to Print Layout
                  tcwaters

philmfdjunk, your comment about row height is an issue for sure.  In a row (record) one field may be 3 "rows" high while the one next to it is only 1 "row" high.

I'm also having little luck getting just a left border.  I seem to either get full borders or no borders, regardless of which box I click in the inspector.

The lines are crucial to help the layout look like a table, so I think I'll just have to have them a fixed height and scrap the resize field option.

• 6. Re: Add Vertical Lines to Print Layout
                    Jason Wood

Here it is working with 2 fields, either of which can be the longer field. With padding used to extend above and below text.

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 1.56.11 PM.png

• 7. Re: Add Vertical Lines to Print Layout
                      philmodjunk

You seem to be missing my suggestion that you use the line tool to draw a vertical line on the body, but extend it one point into the next layout part. This has long been used to add vertical borders to this type of layout. Haven't tested it in v15 though...

Much of the time I just put in the horizontals and allow for some white space to provide the column borders. Simpler that way.

• 8. Re: Add Vertical Lines to Print Layout
                        philmodjunk

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, Jason, is this a file that you can share? I'd like to take a closer look at it.

• 9. Re: Add Vertical Lines to Print Layout
                          tcwaters

Can you please share this as a sample file?

• 10. Re: Add Vertical Lines to Print Layout
                            rgordon

The option described by Jason does work.  I've used it successfully in a solution for 20 years in a sub-summary part.  It is a bit of a pain to set up because you need to overlay a number of fields.  One problem this method has is if the user changes the formatting it can create a problem with fields that were set to white text. 

When dealing with the body part in a list I like using the 1 pixel method.  You can also use a fraction of a pixel which sometimes helps in hiding the small extension.

• 11. Re: Add Vertical Lines to Print Layout
                              Jason Wood

Sure, here's the file.

But I just tried your method and it seems much better ;-). I don't really understand why it works though.

The basic steps to use my more complicated method would be:

For any field that COULD be the longest, make it occupy the entire height of the part, and use top/bottom padding to position your text where you want it. Duplicate these fields. Do not change the height or width. Change text to white. Set left border to black. No rounded corners. Overlap the left edges. Group the fields and send to back. Place where you want a vertical line. Duplicate, move to back, and place any additional lines. It gets messy but it works.

If you use the line 1px into next part method, you should be able to avoid problems with that extra pixel if you draw your horizontal lines at the top of the body instead of in the bottom (then the last one would be in the top of a trailing grand summary where the vertical line ends.

• 12. Re: Add Vertical Lines to Print Layout
                                tcwaters

@Jason, when you say "I just tried your method and it seems much better..." what method are you talking about? 

FWIW, the comments yesterday were awesome and I am implementing the method you describe/ use in the sample. It does make for a very complicated layout. More complex than I'm used to, but doable.

THX

• 13. Re: Add Vertical Lines to Print Layout
                                  Jason Wood

I was referring to Phil's suggestion. Supposedly the limitation is that you have that 1px of line protruding into the next part, but if you arrange the horizontal lines so that they are at the top of the body (rather than the bottom), then you can put the last horizontal line at the top of a trailing grand summary right at the end of the line.

My file had 2 layouts by the way. the second uses the line method.

• 14. Re: Add Vertical Lines to Print Layout
                                    tcwaters

Duh... right in front of me.  THX.

1 2 Previous Next