5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2017 8:52 AM by philmodjunk

Container Fields - in peer to peer sharing

anniebenner

I have added a container field to our database and the file I put in the field opens fine for me. I have checked the box - for reference only. However, the person that shares my database here at the office, cannot open what I put in the field. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Container Fields - in peer to peer sharing
          philmodjunk

And they will not be able to unless they:

a) have direct access to the file in the folder where it resides

b) the volume where that file is found is "mounted"

c) the file path from the other user to that file is exactly the same as it is for you

WIndows OS example:

Put the file in a directory mapped/mounted to your computer as:

x:Pictures

IF the other user has x:Pictures mapped to their computer and they have at least "read" permission access to that directory, you can insert a file from x:Pictures and it will be visible to them as well.

Notice all the ways that this can break. Notice the possible security issues. "Write" access to such a directory also gives the user permission to go to that directory and delete all files from it. This is probably why "Store a reference" is slated to be deprecated in future versions of FileMaker.

What is generally a better approach is to set up your container field to use external storage. Then the users can access the file via the container field without needing direct access to the folder where it resides.

• 2. Re: Container Fields - in peer to peer sharing
            anniebenner

How do we accomplish the very last option in your answer?  I appreciate the help. We are not very in depth users of FM, so your input is very valuable.

What is generally a better approach is to set up your container
            field to use external storage. Then the users can access the file via the
            container field without needing direct access to the folder where it resides.

• 3. Re: Container Fields - in peer to peer sharing
              philmodjunk

If you are not using a fairly recent version of FileMaker, External Storage is not an option.

I suggest that you look up containers and External Storage in FileMaker help and any training resources that you have. There's a lot of detail specific info that you need to read up on.

Then post back here with questions if you still can't get it to work.

• 4. Re: Container Fields - in peer to peer sharing
                anniebenner

We are using version 15.02.220

• 5. Re: Container Fields - in peer to peer sharing
                  philmodjunk

Then external storage is available to you, but there is also a more recent bug fix update that can update you to 15.03.