5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2017 5:51 PM by wimdecorte

Decifer Scheduling Backup Options in FileMaker Server 14

bmadams

Please help me tweak/optimize my Backups.

I had a Hard Drive fail, I was able to fully recover but I want to improve on my Backups from what I learned during the recovery/reinstalling of FileMaker:

I am setting up the Backup Schedule in FileMaker Server 14. 

I am at step 4

fyi; at Step 3 Backup Options: I set path to a different internal Drive and Max number to keep at 7

Step 4: 'Frequency': =Daily, 'Start Date': =Today's date

this is where I am confused

"Repeat Settings"; Select how often during the day you want the schedule to run."

The options under this are very confusing (to me)

- 'Start Time" there are 3 drop downs. ?so is that Hours, Min, and PM/AM?

and then below that is a place to select "Repeat the task" which then makes more options available.

Please clarify what these all do.

- "Every" X minutes/Hours

- Cont Until; ? H, M, am/pm

I don't know, is it going to Repeat (ie make another Backup), if so how does that tie in with me picking # to keep..

How should I utilize this feature to have timely backups that minimize loss in case of total drive failure??

• 1. Re: Decifer Scheduling Backup Options in FileMaker Server 14
          mikebeargie
          How should I utilize this feature to have timely backups that minimize loss in case of total drive failure??

Well, the first thing to do would be to switch to filemaker server running either on a cloud drive (EG AWS), or with a RAID array that is protected should one drive fail. The second thing you should do is have a secondary backup in the form of an external hard drive, NAS or shared folder on a different machine. The third thing you should do is have an offsite backup.

We normally use something like a Synology NAS and setup a windows task schedule to copy the primary backup from the filemaker location to the NAS. Synology has glacier backup built in, so tertiary backup is taken care of for a few dollars a month in amazon cloud fees.

From there you have two backup options in filemaker:

1) Progressive (incremental) backups: this backs up only CHANGES between each backup increment.

Pros:

-Smaller backup file sizes

-More frequent backups

CONS:

-Longer process for restoring backups

-lots more backup files.

-Harder to copy to secondary copies of backups

2) Standalone backups: this backs up the entire filemaker file(s) on a schedule.

Pros:

-Faster restoring from latest backup

-less files to backup makes it easier to copy files to secondary backup.

CONS:

-Larger backup files

-May end up missing more data depending on when crash occurs

From those options we recommend:

Use #2 in most cases, #1 for use only in special cases that result in thousands of record changes per day where a loss of even an hour's data would be catastrophic.

Schedule for #2:

Daily schedule run at 11pm every day, keep 7 copies (one week's worth of backups)

Weekly schedule run 12am Sunday, keep 4 copies (one month's worth of backups)

If you run the schedules more frequently,  like "hourly" backups, it will respect how many copies you tell it to keep. EG if you tell it 20 copies for hourly, you will only have the last 20 hours in backup. FileMaker will always remove the oldest backup once the limit is hit.

I would definitely consider moving away from a single drive as your point of failure as the top priority.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Decifer Scheduling Backup Options in FileMaker Server 14
            bmadams

Thanks,

I agree with all of you intro suggestions.

and I understand "two backup options"

1) Progressive and 2) Standalone

from your last comment about running "hourly"

This "Repeat Settings" works like this, if I put these settings in:

"Repeat Settings"; Select how often during the day you want the schedule to run."

- 'Start Time"; 8 | 00 | AM

"Repeat the task" checked

- "Every"   30 minutes

- Cont Until; 5 | 00 | pm

It will run the backup every 30 minutes, starting at 8:00am until 5:00pm

so that would create 18 Backups (but only keep how ever I have "Max number to keep" (7)

I like the idea of adding the Weekly, keep 4. Along with the Daily Keep 7. I will do that

• 3. Re: Decifer Scheduling Backup Options in FileMaker Server 14
              wimdecorte

Mike Beargie wrote:

you have two backup options in filemaker:

1) Progressive (incremental) backups: this backs up only CHANGES between each backup increment.

2) Standalone backups: this backs up the entire filemaker file(s) on a schedule.

From those options we recommend:

Use #2 in most cases, #1 for use only in special cases that result in thousands of record changes per day where a loss of even an hour's data would be catastrophic.

There's another good reason to use a good mix of options 1 and 2:

Progressive backups only give you two full backup sets to restore from.  Whereas standalone backups allow you to keep as many backup sets as you need so you go back further in time to pick a point to restore from and more sets of the solution to use for troubleshooting.

• 4. Re: Decifer Scheduling Backup Options in FileMaker Server 14
                bmadams

For the Standalone Backups, How about the idea of doing these twice a day, at midday (12pm) and end of day (7pm)?

There is not a huge number of files in the Databases folder; 132 .fmp12 files at 3.12GB.

This would kinda be a hybrid of both Standalone and Progressive; minimizing data loss while ease of recovery.

• 5. Re: Decifer Scheduling Backup Options in FileMaker Server 14
                  wimdecorte

In my opinion you'd always have to use a hybrid of regular and progressive backups.  As to whether the frequency you outline is enough: only you can answer that.

Defining a backup strategy revolves around the answers to these two questions:

- restore point: to what point in time do need to be able to restore, in other words 'how much data are you willing to lose?'  10 minutes, 30 minutes, a few hours?

- restore time: how quickly do you need to be up and running, in other words 'how much downtime can your business survive?'

Keep in mind that the answers to these also need to apply in case the whole machine is dead or the building burns down,...