9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2017 12:47 PM by siplus

Calculation

garry107

I have a calculation and I am trouble having writing it.

I have two fields both with values.

field 1 with values A, B and C

field 2 with Yes or no.

so the field 3 should be calculated as

if field 1 = B

and field 2 = Yes

then field 3 = (count of all records in a database with field 2=no)/(count of all records in a database  with values with field 1 = B)

Is this possible

Thanks,

Garry

• 1. Re: Calculation
          Jaymo

This could be done but might be slow as you add more records. It sounds like you might be better off with a report. Have you every worked with summary fields and subsummary parts?

Give us a little more detail why you want to do this and maybe we can provide an alternative solution.

• 2. Re: Calculation
            philmodjunk

ExecuteSQL can return the needed values for use in your calculation.

Relationships that match only to records with a specific value can also return the needed counts.

A script can find all record with a given value and set a variable or field to the resulting number of records in the found set.

But as Jaymo has already posted, if this for a large number of records, you could see delays in getting a value calculated. Sometimes a scripted "transaction" approach where each time that a record is added or a field value is modified, a script updates a count in a number field in a separate table can provide the same values without the delays encountered by having to query the entire table twice to get the two different counts.

• 3. Re: Calculation
              garry107

Basically I want a field which shows the percentage probability over all records.

So whenever field 1 is B and field 2 is Yes, I want field 3 to auto populate with the percent of all the records with field 2 with all records of field 1 is B

field 3 = ((number of records with field 2 = yes)/(number of records with field 1 = B))*100

I understand with more records there are delays but what are the alternatives?

Thanks,

Garry

• 4. Re: Calculation
                Jaymo

A report should serve you well. Here's a link to a presentation I did at the FileMaker Developer Conference. It's in FileMaker 7 format but is still relevant and can easily be converted. Pay close attention to the report layout in the PERCENT file.

Database Pros:List

• 5. Re: Calculation
                  garry107

I don't know about a report, but I wanted a field in the same layout showing me the percentage. So I need field 3 in the same layout as field 1 and field 2.

Thanks,

garry

• 6. Re: Calculation
                    garry107

I know you were talking abt fraction but how can fraction for count of records be achieved instead of the values.

And that too there's a condition when field 1 is B and field 2 is Yes.

Thanks,

Garry

• 7. Re: Calculation
                      garry107

I think ExecuteSQL is best in my case. Can you help me write the calculation.

Thanks,

Garry

• 8. Re: Calculation
                        garry107

I wrote this Execute SQL statement in an unstored calculation field 3

(ExecuteSQL (  "SELECT Count ( * ) FROM \"Table name\" WHERE \"Table name\".Field 2 = 'yes' "   ; "" ; "" )*100)/

ExecuteSQL (  "SELECT Count ( * ) FROM \"Table name\" WHERE \"Table name\".Field1 = 'B' "   ; "" ; "" )

Thanks,

Garry

• 9. Re: Calculation
                          siplus

Remember that ValueCount(Select....) is faster than Select Count (...)

Remember to never unleash a search on that field