12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2017 8:25 AM by beverly

Adding a full address to a quote

jvt

Hello

I'm having a little problem to figure this one out.  Should be simple, but something just doesn't work.

I have many tables and I think I have a problem with the relationship.

I can only merge field into the layout from the actual table I'm in, and not from the customer table.

I linked the ID and this shows me the fields which I want to select, but they don't merge anything.

The customer table is full of "quote to, bill to, ship to" addresses, street, city, contact name and so on.

In a new layout, where I set up a portal to show items from supplier base or inventory, with prices and totals.

At the top of this layout. I would like to set up the customer. I have set up a pull down list which shows me the customers name.

Now from this customer name I want the entire address to be loaded.

I.e an autofill of fields from the customer table.

I would appreciate any help or links to videos which I could watch.

Julian

• 1. Re: Adding a full address to a quote
          beverly

can you post screen shots of your Relationship Graph or describe how you have your tables connected (fields)?

beverly

• 2. Re: Adding a full address to a quote
            philmodjunk

beverly has made the same request that I would have.

But if you can find the field to add to the layout and it's listed under "related tables", it's not necessarily something that you would fix on the relationship graph. (It might be so show us that graph.) It could simply be that you can't get to data from that related table because you haven't put the correct value into a match field in your layout's current record and thus it doesn't match to any record in your customer table.

I linked the ID and this shows me the fields which I want to select, but they don't merge anything.

I have set up a pull down list which shows me the customers name.

My guess here is that your value list enters a customers name when it should be set up to enter a customer's ID into the ID field you specified in your Quote table as a match field to the ID field in customers. A value list set up with the use values from field option can list the ID as field 1 and the customer name as field 2. Then you can select a customer by name, but the value list enters the ID and links the quote record to the selected customer record. You can choose to show only the second field to keep the ID from showing in your value list.

Other more sophisticated value list or other value selection methods that allow you to find a customer by name, but link them by ID are also possible, but get this simple approach working first before considering whether you need anything better--such as a value list that auto-completes on the customer's name yet still links quote to customer by ID.

• 3. Re: Adding a full address to a quote
              jvt

Hi Beverly.

I'm all very new to this and I suppose I have many failures. I'm learning by doing video coping and turning the steps of the video into my own database. What I really want is for all the tables to be linked and related to each other so that I can get any information from any table and any field into any layout. Just an example.

I want to set up a quote layout, Which, pulls data from the Articles from supplies adds up totals and so on.(this bit is done), This record is given a customer name, address, then maybe the contact name from the contact list of the same company, then a letter text area and later I want to give this a print layout, to PDF, which I sent to the customer. Later I will add the PO and delivery notice and so.

I pull then the data together in other layouts. I was actually thinking, why, don't I just put all the field data into one table. Then I would have everything in one go. I suppose this is not a good idea.

• 4. Re: Adding a full address to a quote
                philmodjunk

On your layout, if you open "layout set up" what is selected in "show records from"?

Sales Quote?

Sales Quote 2

or?

• 5. Re: Adding a full address to a quote
                  philmodjunk

From what I see thus far, you may find this tutorial helpful:

Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

• 6. Re: Adding a full address to a quote
                    jvt

Hi Beverly

This first snap shot shows the currect table, where I added the customer

street as a field.

This brings up a drop down menu and I have to select the correct street

each time. Not what I'm really looking for.

The second shows a snap shot of the link to the customer table, but if I

use this, the box is not even editable.

Best regards

Julian

• 7. Re: Adding a full address to a quote
                      beverly

If you have a relationship to the customer, then selecting the customer (by id in a drop-down), can "fill-in" or "lookup" the related values for things like the street address.

Go to define fields (in the child table) and make the field "auto-enter".

beverly

• 8. Re: Adding a full address to a quote
                        BruceRobertson

Seems to me there are a lot of relationship graph problems and this part of the graph should look more like this.

bfrGraphmod.png

• 9. Re: Adding a full address to a quote
                          beverly

agreed, that's why I could not complete an answer for using auto-enter lookup.

beverly

• 10. Re: Adding a full address to a quote
                            jvt

Hi Beverly

Thank you for taking the time.

Funny thing was. That after I entered data into the portal. The correct customer was chosen. I think I have this now. The next part is to re-arrange my sales layout to firstly choose the customer and the fill in articles from various suppliers, which I choose.

I don't get time to be on this all the time, sometimes I'll be a week away and only get back to it when I'm feeling like it. So I have to restart my thought process all the time. This FileMaker is amazing. I just don't know how it works properly. All tips and tricks are very much appreciated.

Best regards

Julian

Julian Van-Toller

JVT-Support

Mobil:0049 (0)151 7274 9966

Email:JVT@jvt-support.com

Web:www.jvt-support.com

Holzwiesenweg 16a | 85598 Baldham

Umsatz-Identifikationsnr.: DE306806112

Amtsgericht: Ebersberg

• 11. Re: Adding a full address to a quote
                              jvt

What does this auto-entry look up do?

Can I use it to fill multiple boxes. Do the boxes have to be set up before or a text merge field area?

How do I use it?  What would be a benefit of such a (I think this is then a conditional button on the box?) Or I'm I way off.

Or how do I set one up. Do I need another Script?

Julian Van-Toller

JVT-Support

Mobil:0049 (0)151 7274 9966

Email:JVT@jvt-support.com

Web:www.jvt-support.com

Holzwiesenweg 16a | 85598 Baldham

Umsatz-Identifikationsnr.: DE306806112

Amtsgericht: Ebersberg