Thank you for your post.
I am unable to replicate the issue. This is what I have done:
1. I created a new database file with a text field "Name".
2. I entered one record with the value Name = "TSGal"
3. Under Manage -> Security..., I created a new account "test" with password "test". Read-Only Access.
4. Under Scripts -> Script Workspace, I created a script "First" with the following script steps:
Set Variable [ $$account ; "test" ]
Set Variable [ $$password ; "test" ]
5. I created a second script "Change" with the script step:
Re-Login [ Account Name: $$account ; Password: $$password ; With dialog: Off ]
6. Both scripts are saved, and I return to Browse mode.
7. I can modify the Name field.
8. I execute the script "First" to initialize the global variables.
9. I execute "Change". I put my cursor in Name, and I cannot change the value.
Let me know what I am doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.