1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2017 4:23 AM by wimdecorte

My file will NOT open.

staywme

Have been working in FM 7.

Bought FM15 and nothing. It will not convert. "File damaged"

I installed FM11 to recover - nothing.

Desperate to recover my data and migrate to FM15

Willing to pay the $500 recovery fee but is that what I need to do?

Peter

• 1. Re: My file will NOT open.
          philmodjunk

IF all else fails, you should be able to:

use FM to recover the file (even it it says no problems found)

If you can't convert that file, export all data a merg files (These include the field names)

You can then import them with the "new table" option to create new tables in FMP 15. This does not recover layouts, scripts or field calculation expressions, but it would rescue your data. You might, if using FileMaker Advanced as you should for any such conversion project, be able to selectively copy/paste layout elements, calculations and scripts, but test by recovering the file from time to time as you might copy/paste the damage along with the items you are trying to copy and paste.

• 2. Re: My file will NOT open.
            Markus Schneider

You can try the following

- use the opposite platform (Windows when on Mac, vice versa)

- save a compressed copy and use that

- save a clone (just in case the content is damaged) and use that to get an empty .fmp12 file, then import

- export records as a FileMaker file and rebuild...

Rebuilding can be easier than we are afraid of (depends on the db/file/structure). When copying objects, FM should insert 'good' objects

That said, it is really not common that a .fp7 file won't convert to .fmp12

• 3. Re: My file will NOT open.
              TomHays

I have encountered this situation with FileMaker Pro 14 trying to convert FileMaker 11 files.

In my case using FileMaker 11 and saving a copy allowed FileMaker 14 to convert the new file.

Can you elaborate on what you encountered when "I installed FM11 to recover - nothing."

Was FileMaker 11 able to open the file?

Did the Recover operation give you any messages about things it found or fixed?

-Tom

• 4. Re: My file will NOT open.
                staywme

Thank you for the great suggestions and for reading my "plea". Unfortunately FM7, 11 and 15 are all unable to convert my data from my "VHR"file, because just this particular file seems to be damaged. That said; I had 4-5 small FM7 databases for stupid stuff (like a lists of friends birthdays etc) and those all converted fine. Of course the most important and crucial file .... In trying to convert the "VHR" file, FM7, FM11 or FM15 will not open my FM 7 file and displays a message that the file is damaged. Any other thoughts?

Best

Peter

• 5. Re: My file will NOT open.
                  staywme

Thank you TomHays for the great suggestions and for reading my "plea". Unfortunately FM7, 11 and 15 are all unable to convert my data from my "VHR"file, because just this particular file seems to be damaged. That said; I had 4-5 small FM7 databases for stupid stuff (like a lists of friends birthdays etc) and those all converted fine. Of course the most important and crucial file .... In trying to convert the "VHR" file, FM7, FM11 or FM15 will not open my FM 7 file and displays a message that the file is damaged. Any other thoughts?

Best

Peter

• 6. Re: My file will NOT open.
                    staywme

Thank you philmodjunk for the great suggestions and for reading my "plea". Unfortunately FM7, 11 and 15 are all unable to convert my data from my "VHR"file, because just this particular file seems to be damaged. That said; I had 4-5 small FM7 databases for stupid stuff (like a lists of friends birthdays etc) and those all converted fine. Of course the most important and crucial file .... In trying to convert the "VHR" file, FM7, FM11 or FM15 will not open my FM 7 file and displays a message that the file is damaged. Any other thoughts?

Best

Peter

• 7. Re: My file will NOT open.
                      philmodjunk

What do you mean by "VHR" file?

• 8. Re: My file will NOT open.
                        TomHays

Are you sure that this VHR file is a FileMaker database file?

-Tom

• 9. Re: My file will NOT open.
                          staywme

It's just the name of the file (Vacation Home Rental). That's what I named it.

• 10. Re: My file will NOT open.
                            staywme

Oh yes - of course. It's just the name I called this file. (Vacation Home Rental)

• 11. Re: My file will NOT open.
                              fmpdude

I realize this suggestion my not help you in this case, but why aren't you doing incremental backups of all your data?

Computers have been commonplace for over 25 years.

If your data is important: BACK IT UP!

Multiple backups, multiple days, etc.

If you're using a Mac, Time Machine will automatically create incremental versioned backups and maintain them with a beautiful interface -- all for free. There are other cool backup utilities like SuperDuper! and others too.

----------------

I've had issues with FMP - like the lack of any UNDO (pre-15) and needing to resort to a backup file after I could fix some "undo" to a script change which messed everything up I'd been working on. Or accidentally deleting records and needing to resort to a backup.

In short, working with FileMaker always means you NEED BACKUPS!

• 12. Re: My file will NOT open.
                                staywme

I have several backup @fmpdude, actually a whole folder (15 Backups) and have everything backed up on an portable external (Seagate GoFlex) driver on top of that. So that's not where to issue is. The issue is that ANY of these backups, of just THIS file, will not open in FM7, nor FM11 and not in FM15 which I just bought.

I'm well aware of backups and appreciate the reminder, but I've been very good about that.

This is a different issue I'm facing. It's the shell that won't open.

Thanks

Peter

• 13. Re: My file will NOT open.
                                  taylorsharpe

Will the VHR file open in FMP 11?  It supports the same *.fp7 that FM 7 uses.  If not, can you still open it with FMP 7?  I'm suggesting to get back to a version where it actually works and then work forward from there maybe by recovering, etc.  And I know you say it is damaged, but what prompt are you getting or is it just crashing the program?

• 14. Re: My file will NOT open.
                                    philmodjunk

If you want, one of us can take a look at the file for you. If the contents are sensitive, you can private message one of us to arrange sending the file without posting a public download link.

1 2 Previous Next