7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2017 2:12 PM by philmodjunk

Hiding plugin license keys

ndveitch

Hi there,

I need to find out if someone knows of a webinar that talks about hiding your plugin license keys? I was on youtube a few weeks back and I saw the presenter, it could be Matt Petrowsky or maybe Matt Navarre, as I have been going over the FileMakerMagazine clips trying to pick up tips. For the life of me I cant remember which youtube clip it was, but during the clip there was a 2 - 3 min side note about hiding a plugin key using the Developer Utilities. I remember saying to myself that I need to save the clip, but as you guessed I never did and now I need to hand over a system to my client and I would like to lock down the license key for the plugin's that I have used in their system.

If not, does anyone know if FileMaker has maybe done a webinar on this and if not, do you think it would be a good one to suggest to FileMaker because I never use the Developer Utilities and it would be nice to see some more info on using it.

• 1. Re: Hiding plugin license keys
          Jaymo

I usually use a script on open to register the plug-in so the product key is hidden in a script. Typically, a Set Variable to a local variable will do the trick so the registration key is gone after the open script is done running. With proper security, user shouldn't be able to access scripts. Did you need more security than this?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hiding plugin license keys
            ndveitch

Hi there,

I do that already, I have the registration key in the open scripts. I saw this way of hiding the key by using custom functions but also something about using the Developer Utilities. To be honest I was making notes about the webinar and what the presenter said was sort of an off shoot if I recall and wasn't about the main talk. Only a few weeks later I thought about it and now I can't remember what the webinar was . I even went through my history and couldn't find it.

• 3. Re: Hiding plugin license keys
              Jaymo

Where do you see the registration key exposed?

• 4. Re: Hiding plugin license keys
                ndveitch

I have my registration set into the open script and I have the scripts hidden from the normal users. I think I am just being a little over paranoid. I have not been able to play with plugins as much as I have with my last solution. I still have a long way to go.

• 5. Re: Hiding plugin license keys
                  Jaymo

No worries. I think your plug-in registration codes are safe from prying eyes as long as you don't allow people privileges to see scripts. Happy FileMaking!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Hiding plugin license keys
                    ibrahim_bittar

Hi ndveitch

I create custom functions with my registration keys. They are much harder to see.

For example if you use FMDiff or any other File Checking software, it will read all your scripts, regardless if you put your keys in variables or not. if you put them in custom functions they won't be read.

Best regards

Ibrahim

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Hiding plugin license keys
                      philmodjunk

if you put them in custom functions they won't be read.

Except that it's pretty easy to force open a FileMaker File if it is not encrypted and then you can simply read the key in the custom function definition. So I'm not sure that using a CF gains you much added security.