1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 8:40 AM by gdurniak

local index error?

njem

Are there local copies of some data?

A script reported a couple records with required fields empty. A manual Find didn't find any. A little more looking and I could find in a Show All view the two records with empty fields. I could sort on that field and they end up at the bottom (ascending). But still a Find wouldn't find them. (Nope, not just a space or some hidden text.) This is a hosted file. The server ran a consistency check the night before and it was fine. Finally I quit my local copy of FM altogether, reopened FM and the file, and then those records had the correct data in those fields. Huh?

Client is FM Pro Advanced 13.

Server is FileMaker Server 13

File is opened remotely across the LAN.

Thanks,

Tom

• 1. Re: local index error?
          Johan Hedman

Sometimes Index crash in a field or in a table. Take Index Off. Close your file. Open your file and set Index On. Then do a search on that field and it will be indexed again

• 2. Re: local index error?
            wimdecorte

Give the whole deployment a once-over to make sure nothing but FMS is touching the live files.  No OS-level file sharing, no external backups, no anti-virus...

• 3. Re: local index error?
              njem

Johan, that would apply if the index was damaged, but apparently it wasn't. The consistency check the server did later was okay too. It was just my local (local what? copy? view? cache?) was confused. That's what I'm curious about. How could FM be confused locally about a hosted file that is okay?

• 4. Re: local index error?
                njem

Wimdecorte, like I mentioned to Johan, that would apply if something had messed with the file. But the file was fine. I just had to close it in my station, close FM (don't know if that was necessary), go back in and it had it right. There is no sharing of it beyond the server serving it, no backup other than the FM Server backup. There is anti-virus on both the server and my station but that has to be normal operating environment. The server did report later that night that the file was fine, "Consistency check succeeded on backup of database...". So it was just my local viewing of the data that was confused, and I'd like to understand how FM does that so I know what's what.

• 5. Re: local index error?
                  wimdecorte

njem wrote:

There is anti-virus on both the server and my station but that has to be normal operating environment.

It is not.  Not for FMS.  It has been known to cause serious issues.

• 6. Re: local index error?
                    njem

Antivirus & FMS? Yikes. I didn't know that. But the info I can find indicates the files location shouldn't be scanned. That would be on the hosted server and the company specializes in FM so I'll bet they know that. But I'll check.

But that still wouldn't apply to what I encountered. The antivirus warning says it could corrupt the file. The file wasn't corrupt, just my local station wasn't showing it right. I'm still curious what FM does locally that could get messed up that a simple FM client restart could cure it. I don't think I've seen anything in the docs like that. Is anything documented?

• 7. Re: local index error?
                      gdurniak

You are correct, that is unusual

It is possible that FileMaker downloaded the Index, to do the Find, but the index got scrambled locally ( but I have never seen this )

A Consistency Check only looks at Blocks and Pointers,  so it would not identify a scrambled Index or Library

Try a full Recover,  and search the Log for anything "changed",  or any index "difference" other than zero ( then discard the Recovered file )

If it is repeatable,  you could report it

greg

PS

If this is a Related Field, you can also get unexpected results

>But still a Find wouldn't find them ...

Finally I quit my local copy of FM altogether, reopened FM and the file, and then those records had the correct data in those fields. Huh ?

• 8. Re: local index error?
                        njem

Exactly, ("It is possible that FileMaker downloaded the Index, to do the Find..."). Does FM download local copies of indexes or data? That's what I'm asking. I was hoping for some official FM response here so I could learn something. Is there some other way to get that?

Actually it wouldn't have been an index problem though because it was actual data that didn't display right. While the Find was the first indication of problem, then I looked at a table view of Show All and could see some records had empty fields. They weren't really. After the restart I could see the correct data in those fields. Prior to the restart they weren't showing what was really there.

As I was looking at a Show All view it was not affected by Related Field.

• 9. Re: local index error?
                          wimdecorte

njem wrote:

Exactly, ("It is possible that FileMaker downloaded the Index, to do the Find..."). Does FM download local copies of indexes or data? That's what I'm asking. I was hoping for some official FM response here so I could learn something. Is there some other way to get that?

FileMaker client works with temp files and a local cache to speed things up.  You can set the size of the cache in the FMP preferences.  So the answer is: yes.

• 10. Re: local index error?
                            howardh

if you are using a lookup to populate the empty fields then I suggest to change to a calculated auto enter. It works better in my opinion.

howard@efficiencyanalysts.com

• 11. Re: local index error?
                              njem

Oh, I'd forgotten there even was a cache setting. Always left it at default. If I'd thought about it I would have assumed it was only forms and form-graphics and stuff like that. Bulky stuff that probably doesn't have to be live all the time. It's hard to imagine a local cache of data or index given how quickly updates by other users show, and the immediate coordination of record locks and such. Must take a lot of communication between client and server to keep that cache coordinated.

Okay, so it's that cache, and that got corrupted locally. That's a little scary since it doesn't create an error but does affect reports and displayed data. Though it has only apparently happened to me twice that I'm aware of, though both recently.

1. Is there any way other than restarting the FM client to renew that cache? Which I assume is the only way to verify the cache. It's not like there's a cache verification command.

2. Looks like there's no log of corruption, or error event that could raise a flag about it.

3. Looks like there's no way to turn off using cache.

Tom

• 12. Re: local index error?
                                njem

gdurniak, thanks for reminding that a consistency check is not a full corruption check. I used last night's backup copy and ran a full recover with options and it had no errors.

• 13. Re: local index error?
                                  gdurniak

If FileMaker got scrambled locally, there is nothing you can do, other than to restart

Temp files can also fail due to lack of disk space,  e.g.  http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7457/~/damaged-temporary-file

Even though Recover reported no "problems",  it pays to check the Recover Log anyway. Recover can make "silent" changes

Keep an eye on this. If it happens again,  contact Tech Support

greg

PS

It might pay to "clean" your data, just in case.  Export your Tables in "Merge" format, then import back into a Clone ( using matching field names )

> Is there any way other than restarting the FM client to renew that cache ? Which I assume is the only way to verify the cache. It's not like there's a cache verification command.

• 14. Re: local index error?
                                    mardikennedy

Definitely v13, FMP and FMS, yes?

1 2 Previous Next