14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2017 5:32 PM by JackRodges

FileMaker Go Apps

JackRodges

My attention is turning to the possibility of creating a GO app for the apps store and memory seems to say that FileMaker provided a method of creating such an app that would not need FileMaker GO.

1. Is that correct. FileMaker Go is not needed?
      2. Is this just a runtime situation where FileMaker GO is bound to the file as the engine was bound to Pro files?
      3. Is this intended for the App Store so we can distribute/sell our files to the general public?
      4. Any samples or demo files out there so I can see how it works?
        • 1. Re: FileMaker Go Apps
          philmodjunk

iOS SDK

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go Apps
            bigtom

FileMaker Store: FileMaker Developer Subscription

You will need the FDS and read up on how it all works. I have used it to put apps in the AppStore.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go Apps
              CarlSchwarz

Just pointing out that there is a caveat.  After you sign up for FDS you will get access to a post that says:

Clarification of iOS App SDK Support

FileMaker, Inc. does not recommend or support the use of the iOS App SDK to distribute custom iOS apps using the public App Store.

We recommend the following deployment methods for these iOS apps:

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go Apps
                wimdecorte

gofmp wrote:

1. Is this just a runtime situation where FileMaker GO is bound to the file as the engine was bound to Pro files?

Very similar.  But the user does not need to have FM Go if that is what you are implying.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go Apps
                  JackRodges

Thanks to everyone for their reply.

I have just searched for how to create an app for iphone and android and find that there are many companies offering the client the ability to create html apps for the stores and many POS companies, store fronts, etc.

I think I will restrict my FileMaker work to being a design front end, data manipulator, etc. and start using these other options for deployable apps.

One day I woke up and decided to see how the world has changed in the last 30 years (Rip Van Winkle) and discovered my skills were no longer unique and so I must adapt and learn new skills and offer new ideas.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Go Apps
                    codecruncher

gofmp wrote:

One day I woke up and decided to see how the world has changed in the last 30 years (Rip Van Winkle) and discovered my skills were no longer unique and so I must adapt and learn new skills and offer new ideas.

To do something that matches the functionality of the FM SDK you would have to learn Swift, SQLite and Xcode just to cover the iOS platform. Makes one appreciate that the Old Rip Van Winkle Bourbon goes down just as easy as it has always been.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Go Apps
                      wimdecorte

Or C#

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-mac/

Microsoft is doing nice things in this Xplat space.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Go Apps
                        jfletch

Wim, how would you compare VS with FM?

Say I had a competitor that wanted to take my roadmap document that I created for a client, and build the proposed solution in VS. What would they NOT be able to do? What would they be able to do that I can't?

Thanks!

• 9. Re: FileMaker Go Apps
                          wimdecorte

There is no easy comparison, they are totally different animals.

But sure; anyone could build based on your roadmap.  Roadmaps and specs can usually be interpreted by any good consultant/developer.

VS is just an IDE, the programming tools are the .NET languages and frameworks.  Those pack a lot more power and scalability than you can get from the FM platform.  But the penalty is that very little is pre-built like it is with FM do development cycles are longer and costlier.  So if your application's use is in FM's sweet spot then it is hard to beat on price.

What they can do that you can't: build natively to Android for one.  Deploy servers on Linux, integrate with the OS and other applications and hardware at a much deeper level.  Like I said: they have a lot more power at their disposal.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Go Apps
                            jfletch

Great. Thanks, Wim.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Go Apps
                              JackRodges

After spending considerable time testing these build your own app websites, my conclusions are:

1) What happens when the Internet goes down for you? (Nothing like a Go app on your device)

2) Most are HTML reports from a SQL database or so it seems to me.

3) None compare to what you get with GO although there are a few things GO doesn't have.

It seems to me that I can achieve my goals by having people download GO for free. No big deal. And then emailing them a copy of the app which will install for them in GO or giving them a clicker to Dropbox, etc.

However, it does seem like FileMaker has a lot of competition in the Cloud and that charging $10,000 for unlimited Go logins that will never be as fast as HTML is not a winning idea in the long run.

Secure networking is valuable in itself and the cloud will soon learn that the hard way, again.

Maybe FileMaker will wake up to the fact that there are small businesses that only need less than 20 clients and who can't afford $10,000. How hard would it be to make a small business version that gives 20 seats max and allows 10 concurrent GO logins for sales etc and only costs $500. Plus providing a lifetime upgrade (for free) policy for we developers who started with the first version and have helped FileMaker become sucessful. Or at least declare me a person worthy of such honor... 

• 12. Re: FileMaker Go Apps
                                bigtom

Not sure where you are getting pricing but formation. Go is very affordable. FM in general is very affordable.

FM is making big strides in the product and I would hope this is in part due to the pricing on the platform.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Go Apps
                                  CarlSchwarz

gofmp wrote:

Maybe FileMaker will wake up to the fact that there are small businesses that only need less than 20 clients and who can't afford $10,000. How hard would it be to make a small business version that gives 20 seats max and allows 10 concurrent GO logins for sales etc and only costs $500. Plus providing a lifetime upgrade (for free) policy for we developers who started with the first version and have helped FileMaker become sucessful. Or at least declare me a person worthy of such honor...

The AUD price that I see for 10 concurrent licenses is a small fraction of $10,000 and is a drop in the bucket compared to the weekly wages of hiring 20 staff so that small business example is fine IMO.  It should be easy to get that sort of ROI from a mobile application

• 14. Re: FileMaker Go Apps
                                    JackRodges

The online databases are not that interesting yet but they are going to get better, more competitive, etc. Airtable is one example that I looked at but decided to pass on for now.

I'd bet that one or more will be offering a big chuck of the features of FileMaker, 4D and others. But for now they are pretty boring.

The price, however, is a big incentive for many.