4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 1:48 PM by TSGal

'Undo' un-does multiple steps in layout mode

justinc

I have noticed for quite a while that while in layout mode, certain combinations of moving layout objects around will cause a single 'Undo' command to revert multiple moves.  It is usually just the last two items, but I swear that I have seen it Undo more than two-steps back.

I think that it's limited to moves/repositions of layout objects - I don't recall if I have seen it undo formatting changes on multiple objects.

I have reproduced this in new empty files.

FMPA 15.03

OS X 10.11.6

Create a new layout (Theme = Enlightened)

In Layout mode:

add a text object, a button, and a shape

Drag the text object to a new location

Click on the button to select it, then use the arrow keys to reposition it

Press "cmd+z" to Undo

RESULT:  Both the text and the Button will move back to their starting positions, when only the button should move back.

• 1. Re: 'Undo' un-does multiple steps in layout mode
          TSGal

justinc:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue following your steps.  If I press Command-Z once, the button returns to its original position.  When I press Command-Z twice, the Text object moves back to its original location.  Pressing Command-Z again removes the shape.

Be sure you are not holding down Command-Z as this will act like pressing Command-Z repeatedly.

You may want to also check your System Preferences -> Keyboard settings to make sure the Key Repeat is not Fast and Delay Until Repeat is not Short.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: 'Undo' un-does multiple steps in layout mode
            justinc

I have seen cases where the first instance of undo (perhaps after entering layout mode?) will operate correctly, but subsequent drags-and-then-nudges-with-arrow-keys of multiple objects will have multiple undos.

I tested this using the menu command (instead of the keyboard) and I get the same behavior.

I have recorded a little video showing the problem.

I also get this same problem in FMPA 14.  (The video was shot in 14, but the behavior/result is exactly the same in 15.)

To be clear, the 2nd move-operation has to be done with the arrow keys, to nudge the object around one point at a time.  In the video, if the mouse pointer stays still, I'm using the arrow keys to move the layout object.

• 3. Re: 'Undo' un-does multiple steps in layout mode
              TSGal

justinc:

Thank you for the additional information.

The key (no pun intended) to this issue is the use of the arrow keys.  I am able to replicate the issue with FileMaker Pro 15 under both macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 7.  Undo will revert all changes to the last non-arrow edit.  That is, if you drag an object to a position, then move several objects using the arrow keys, Undo will then move all objects moved with the arrow key and the preceding dragged object to their original positions.

All information has been sent to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: 'Undo' un-does multiple steps in layout mode
                TSGal

justinc:

Development and Testing are aware of this issue.  Your post has been attached to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.