AnsweredAssumed Answered

Cloud storage options for media referenced in FMC

Question asked by bnmohr on Apr 18, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 18, 2017 by wimdecorte

I've been searching the web and forums and haven't found much information about AWS's various storage options (other than running backups) and how they can be utilized by FM Cloud.  If such a thread exists please just point me there.  Mostly, I haven't been developing in filemaker for a while and am behind but excited about the new cloud option but know very little about how it acts differently or if there are API's into AWS (I know to a degree I just need to jump in and things will start to be more clear).  But I'm trying to propose a project to get funding to jump in...

As I'm writing this I think it's becoming clear that the function I'm looking for in filemaker is to provide a list with links to the documents in various cloud folders (Say S3 and box).  It would have to be calculated/generated as the folder may be updated outside of filemaker.  If it's possible to do this for S3 (I think this is probably the goal for most of the files and box for the rest), if something has been shifted to glacier, how can I call it back to S3 to download locally within FM (or FM provide a link that is downloaded via a web browser) and not having to go into AWS console to retrieve out of glacier?

Many thanks in advance, I know the first response is often "more info please" but the post got too long winded without useful information I think.  The important factors are that the media is large and very rarely accessed via filemaker, but is accessed and sync'd via a laptop in the field, where using box client software or goodsync would be moving files to and from the cloud outside of FM.  The rarely accessed is the clue to my interest in S3 IA or Glacier storage.

Bonus question- if there is a folder within the target folder, could I build a navigator inside FM to view the files within the subfolder?  I suppose this is just a recursive function where clicking a folder simply names that as the new target folder to show contents- which just brings us back to the main question.

Cheers,

Brian

Outcomes