10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 5:04 PM by CarlSchwarz

WebDirect Serves File, But FileMaker 15 and Go Don't See It

giordano

What could cause FileMaker Pro 15 Launch Center to report “No files are currently hosted on AWS instancename.”? We access them via WebDirect easily, so they must be hosted. Port 5003 is open inbound on the AWS instance, too.

Moreover, when we launch a local copy of the file, FileMaker offers to open the remote copy with

"This file has previously been uploaded to FileMaker Server. Use Hosted Version?"

So, this, too indicates that Port 5003 is open. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: WebDirect Serves File, But FileMaker 15 and Go Don't See It
          CarlSchwarz

Did you turn on the FileMaker Pro sharing setting in security for that user account, and in sharing before uploading the file?

• 2. Re: WebDirect Serves File, But FileMaker 15 and Go Don't See It
            wimdecorte

giordano wrote:

Moreover, when we launch a local copy of the file, FileMaker offers to open the remote copy with

"This file has previously been uploaded to FileMaker Server. Use Hosted Version?"

So, this, too indicates that Port 5003 is open.

Careful with that conclusion.

You'll get that message when you open the local file and FM knows it has been uploaded.  It does NOT mean that FM has been able to verify that the hosted file is available.

Or are you saying that if you take the choice to open the remote file from that dialog that it works?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: WebDirect Serves File, But FileMaker 15 and Go Don't See It
              giordano

Thanks for the quick advice, gentlemen. I failed to provide a detail.

Regarding the Open dialog that appears when I simply double-click the file: When I chose the option to open the remote version, FM Pro 15 threw up this dialog: The File could not be opened. (Extended privilege disabled)

But all Extended privileges (including the legacy fmiwp) were turned on for the Admin account. In other words, at least one account for that file had ALL Extended privileges turned on. As a test, I turned on privileges for the only two other users (who are assigned limited access). That did the trick.

So, this raises two new questions.

First, why is it not enough that one of the users has all Extended privileges? Why require it for all of them?

Second, which extended privilege matters for a local client to see the file? There are 9 of them, and the detailed description for each of them says nothing about server. They say things like PHP and WebDirect, which have nothing to do with FM Server-to-client access.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: WebDirect Serves File, But FileMaker 15 and Go Don't See It
                wimdecorte

The only extended privilege that matters for an FMP and FM Go client is the 'fmapp' one.

You certainly do not need to toggle all of them on to make it work so something else is going on that would make it seem like that.

The description literally says 'access via FileMaker network' so it is for remote access to a hosted file.  Not sure what you expect to see in the description to make that clear?

For the other ones: iwp, xml, php, webdirect are all only available from server.  xdbc is the only exception to that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: WebDirect Serves File, But FileMaker 15 and Go Don't See It
                  giordano

You wrote, “The description literally says 'access via FileMaker network' so it is for remote access to a hosted file.” No, not quite. To me, this reads as access to peer-to-peer sharing only. Here’s why. Choose

File > Sharing > Share with FileMaker Clients…

This opens a dialog box that reads:

Configure Peer to Peer Sharing.

Turn on Network Sharing, and radio buttons under “Network access to file”.

OK, now choose

File > Manage > Security…

In this dialog box, under the Extended Privileges tab, the description reads:

fmapp Access via FileMaker Network

Oops. This says nothing about hosted or hosting. Can you blame a poor user for interpreting this as "peer-to-peer network"? Wouldn’t it be more accurate for this description to read…

fmapp Access via FileMaker Server or peer-to-peer network

This documentation threw me.

In any case, assigning the fmapp Extended Privilege to all of my users discloses the file to FileMaker desktop clients, but not to FileMaker Go. I still haven’t figured out that one.

Thanks for keeping me pointed in the right direction.

• 6. Re: WebDirect Serves File, But FileMaker 15 and Go Don't See It
                    CarlSchwarz

Just posting this for reference:

Connecting to a file via FileMaker Go | FileMaker

Does the FileMaker server admin console have the full circle for Go/Pro access or does it have a half circle representing only pro access is turned on?

ProOnly.PNG

• 7. Re: WebDirect Serves File, But FileMaker 15 and Go Don't See It
                      giordano

Ah! This is very interesting.

This screen never appears in FileMaker Cloud. It's a FileMaker Server thing.

I have searched every menu, every screen, every sidebar, and there is no reference to Go. (Only one, that takes you to the App store for download.) Apparently, after you convert you FileMaker Server license to a FileMaker Cloud license, the ability to deal with FileMaker Go settings disappears from the control panel.

I have since found others here in Community who have discovered the same behavior. It appears to be a hole in implementation of Cloud.

Thank you for this, Carl.

• 8. Re: WebDirect Serves File, But FileMaker 15 and Go Don't See It
                        philmodjunk

Does the FileMaker server admin console have the full circle for Go/Pro access or does it have a half circle representing only pro access is turned on?

That's not what the half circle symbol means. A full circle means that the file is visible in the Open Remote dialog when the server is selected. A half circle means that the file is accessible, but not listed in the dialog.

There's a setting in the sharing dialog, when you have the file open with FileMaker and not server prior to uploading, where you can select an open file and select whether or not the file's name appears in this dialog.

• 9. Re: WebDirect Serves File, But FileMaker 15 and Go Don't See It
                          giordano

Well. All my issues are resolved. The FileMaker Go problem turned out to be the app version. Our iPads are all on the latest update of FileMaker Go 13, but that version is incapable of communicating with FileMaker 15 -- or FileMaker Cloud! A quick upgrade to Go 15 did the trick. The problem was that I was unaware that there even was a matching version 15.

For the client issue, the solution turned out to be setting the fmapp Extended Privilege for my users.

FileMaker support is amazing -- fast and knowledgeable. I had a nice chat with one of the techs about getting the documentation updated across all FileMaker products that interact with Cloud, not just the documentation for Cloud itself.

Again, thank you for your help, gentlemen.

• 10. Re: WebDirect Serves File, But FileMaker 15 and Go Don't See It
                            CarlSchwarz

That makes sense, I never did look into the meaning of the half circle much.  Thanks Phil