7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2017 4:01 PM by philmodjunk

Portal displayed Horizontally with Images

JulioSandoval

Hello,

I found a previous article that philmodjunk had answered but I need to take it a bit further.

I have set the Print options in Layout Setup to print in 5 columns across first.

I have set each portal's initial row accordingly to cover 35 images.

So the page is 5 columns, 7 containers down giving us 35 images.

But my question is, what if I have more pictures?

And what about if there is less than 35 images? (I doubt there will be less, but just in case. The app will be heavily used in taking pictures.)

Here is what I have so far;

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 11.05.58 AM.png

Thank you all

• 1. Re: Portal displayed Horizontally with Images
          philmodjunk

Do you need to use a portal at all?

Perhaps pulling up a found set of these records on a layout based on the portal's table would be more flexible.

The method your are using can shrink but not grow. By setting the portals to Slide up and to resize the enclosing part, it can adjust for less images but not more. Thus a found set of images instead of portals may work better as a layout based on the portal's table can expand as well as shrink.

• 2. Re: Portal displayed Horizontally with Images
            JulioSandoval

If I do that, it does the following:

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 11.27.44 AM.png

Which is a step in the right direction. But now, since we are seeing the Portals table I had set in the previous image (image table), it only shows the images belonging to that set, instead of ALL of the pictures belonging to the Parent table. (The inspection table)

The end result is:

I want to take all the pictures taken during an inspection and show them in these pages. This will eventually get printed to PDF, which I have already started a script for which Appends. Pretty cool feature so thank you for recommending that in my previous post.

That is all that this layout needs to show. A collection of all images taken.

Thanks Phil

• 3. Re: Portal displayed Horizontally with Images
              MartinBishop

I do something like this, but it's a lot of setup and quite heavy, especially if something changes like sorting, etc., but it works good. I have 1x1 portals (different sizes to fill working space), adding increment to Initial Row. Then I layout the portals to have sets of 1 image through 30+ images (lots of portals). I group all of these different combinations together, then apply a hide rule to only show the image set of the particular count of images. Basically this will fill your entire space based on your predefined layout of whatever count of images you want to show.

• 4. Re: Portal displayed Horizontally with Images
                JulioSandoval

Does your system work if we want the page to show 35 images and continue to make pages as needed until all images are shown?

If it does, do you have a sample file I can look at?

• 5. Re: Portal displayed Horizontally with Images
                  philmodjunk

But now, since we are seeing the Portals table I had set in the previous image (image table), it only shows the images belonging to that set, instead of ALL of the pictures belonging to the Parent table. (The inspection table)

That makes no sense

All the images that you want are in the portal's table, correct?

Then any set or subset of the images that you want should be something that you can pull up as a found set. You can either perform a find or use Go to related records to produce the found set of desired image records.

If desirable, you can use a sub summary part to put the images from each inspection under their own sub head and each could start on a new page if you want that.

So I'm not picturing the problem that you are trying to describe here.

• 6. Re: Portal displayed Horizontally with Images
                    JulioSandoval

Hi Phil,

I apologize for the late response.

So I have an Inspection Table. This table relates to an Observation Table. Then I have ObservationsImage Table.

So what I need to do, is to have a contact sheet of all pictures located in the ObservationsImage Table that belong to ALL Observations which belong to one single Inspection.

I am trying to set it to 35 images per table. So that is a 5x7 table.

I found a link with a possible solution, I just haven't been able to try it yet.

Here is the link:

http://www.filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php/20618-Images-Thumbnails-Contact-Sheet

Thanks Phil.

• 7. Re: Portal displayed Horizontally with Images
                      philmodjunk

It should be possible to use a layout based on ObservationsImage to show whatever group of images that you need for your report.