3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2017 2:01 PM by philmodjunk

Conditional Value List

struggling

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with creating a conditional value list that shows only the records in a table that are marked "available" via a radio button set on a related table layout.

Basically I'm a yacht broker creating my own database as follows:

1 VESSEL may be listed many times

1 SELLER may have many listings --- Join table between the SELLER and VESSEL = LISTING

1 LISTING may have many SELLERs--- Join table between SELLER and LISTING = LISTINGSELLERJOIN

1 new contact LEAD may enquire about more than one LISTING  -- Join table between LEAD and LISTING = ENQUIRYJOIN

Once a vessel has been sold, the LISTING "Active" field is marked "Sold" via a radio button set.  If this vessel becomes available for sale again, I create a new listing for the vessel and the "Active" field has an auto-enter data field that sets it to "Available".

What I want to do is only show the "Available" LISTING in the ENQUIRYJOIN layout when a LEAD enquires about the new listing.

I hope this all makes sense.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Conditional Value List
          philmodjunk

What I want to do is only show the "Available" LISTING in the ENQUIRYJOIN layout when a LEAD enquires about the new listing.

Since you don't want the user to select a "filter" value for the conditional value list, but only and always want "available" listings, this is what I call a "hardwired" conditional value list. A relationship can be used for this or a calculation field defined in the listing table can be used.

See the "hardwired conditional value list" examples found in this teaching file:

Adventures in FileMaking #1--conditional value lists

In the resources section at the end, you'll also find a download link for a file that demonstrates more advanced methods that can be set up for selecting values from a list.

(please check out the "geek busking" info on the introduction layout.)

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Conditional Value List
            struggling

Thanks Phil, you're a genius.

That was so simple once I had the example in front of me.  In the end I used the calculation field only hardwired option.

• 3. Re: Conditional Value List
              philmodjunk

Yes, I like that method too. For one thing, you can use a value list based on that calculation field on any layout in your file where the typical relationship based hardwired conditional value list only works from the context of a single table occurrence--which can force a developer to create multiple copies of the same CVL, but with different table occurrence references.