2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2017 3:02 AM by gdurniak

Recover regularly?

sdurante

I made some changes to field names in some tables that are used in a fairly long intricate script. After I did that, the script stopped working. I have enough confidence in what I am doing to this point that I decided the script was just fine, thank you, and ran a "recover." It did not turn up problems but did rebuild indexes and solved the problem.

Is there a way to rebuild indexes without having to create a recovery file?

• 1. Re: Recover regularly?
          philmodjunk

Yes, but you can also use advanced recover options to produce a new copy of the file where the only change is all indexes rebuilt:

select: "copy file blocks as is" and "rebuild indexes now".

Other methods:

import all data into a clone of the file.

Open Manage Database and use field options to turn off indexing on a selected field. Click OK to close Manage Database, then return to Manage Database to turn indexing back on.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Recover regularly?
            gdurniak

As already explained,  you can use Manage Database to set Indexing to "None", and leave "Automatically create indexes as needed" checked.  FileMaker will then rebuild the Index

The problem here is our tools. Recover is a great utility, built by Geeks, with a log not readable by humans.  Most "Real" databases ( e.g. SQL ) have a simple option to verify an index

It is also odd that Recover would report no "Problems",  when it appears your index was scrambled ( check the Recover Log for any "difference" other than zero )

greg

> I decided the script was just fine, thank you, and ran a "recover." It did not turn up problems but did rebuild indexes and solved the problem.