1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2017 10:32 AM by BruceHerbach

Host unable to handle portal filter/sort

sdurante

I've tried three hosts and none can make a particular portal work. It works fine when I open the file locally. (Other portals with more complicated filters/sorts work just fine on these sites.)

I've tried their shared and dedicated servers--same result: the portal goes into an endless filter/sort.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Host unable to handle portal filter/sort
          philmodjunk

Where you expecting us to use crystal balls?

How about providing some info about layout, portal, portal filter (if any), table occurrences and relationships?

And exactly what happens when it "doesn't work"?

• 2. Re: Host unable to handle portal filter/sort
            sdurante

Crystal balls? Actually I thought the problem was so peculiar that someone might have come across it before, something very specific about portals and hosting sites. Guess not.

So here goes:

The layout? What can I say? It's nothing special.

Its table is "EnterRevise." The portal refers to table "SearchComments." The portal fields are from table "SearchComments. The search field, GFQuickCommentsSearch, that resides outside the portal is from table "Globals."

EnterRevise and SearchComments are TOs of the same table related by a field they every record in both tables has, "GFKeyForSearchComments."

The fields in the portal are

1. a calculation field of text, cOldcomments

2. a text field, CurrentComments

3. a text field, LastName.

The portal filter is:

(IsEmpty ( Globals::GFQuickCommentsSearch )

or

PatternCount  (Search Comments::cAllOldComments;  Globals::GFQuickCommentsSearch)

or

PatternCount  (Search Comments::CurrentComments;  Globals::GFQuickCommentsSearch))

The portal sort is

LastName

The two triggers on the search field are ONObjectEnter and ONObjectExit: RefreshPortal is run each time. (They both were necessary to get the portal to work perfectly on the local file running FMPA15.

Yet, it doesn't work when hosted; it goes into what looks like an endless filter/sort.

Any insights would be appreciated.

• 3. Re: Host unable to handle portal filter/sort
              sdurante

By "endless filter/sort" I mean I see a wheel spinning and it never ends. I end up shutting the program to get out of it.

• 4. Re: Host unable to handle portal filter/sort
                philmodjunk

What is the relationship?

How many records, roughly are in the portal table?

When does the wheel start spinning? When you first bring up the layout? Or when you start to enter search text?

• 5. Re: Host unable to handle portal filter/sort
                  sdurante

The relationship is SearchComments::GFKeyForComments = EnterRevise::GFKeyForComments and there's some random letter in that global field.

There are ~2000 records.

If I start with the search field, Globals::GFQuickCommentsSearch, empty then the portal opens with all records displayed sorted by LastName. When I enter text in the search field, the endless spinning begins.

If I start with text in the search field the spinning begins when I open the portal.

• 6. Re: Host unable to handle portal filter/sort
                    philmodjunk

Do you have FileMaker Advanced? If so, enable the script debugger before opening the layout and getting that spinner.

Other than that, try disabling/removing one feature at a time to see which seems to contribute to the endless update.

You might also recover the file and see if the recovered copy has the same problem.

• 7. Re: Host unable to handle portal filter/sort
                      sdurante

The portal works when I remove from the filter:

PatternCount  (Search Comments::cAllOldComments;  Globals::GFQuickCommentsSearch)

or

So it's the calculation field that is the problem (but only remotely, not locally).

I'm loathe to remove that step; it's the current purpose for the search ability. I've found no other problem with the calculation field in any other usage.

Thoughts?

• 8. Re: Host unable to handle portal filter/sort
                        sdurante

I thought of making the calculation field store its contents but I can't do that because the calculation is based on related fields. I thought of creating a lookup of the calculation field and doing the portal sort on that, but I don't understand lookups and can't get anything to appear in the lookup field even after "relookup.".

• 9. Re: Host unable to handle portal filter/sort
                          sdurante

cOldComments will never change; it's a legacy from an old database. Is there a way to capture its contents in a plain old text field. The portal sort might work on that. I thought a lookup field would accomplish that.

• 10. Re: Host unable to handle portal filter/sort
                            sdurante

I get this message when I do relookup:

cAllOldCommentsLOOKUP is supposed to get its content from cAllOldComments, a calculation field, via a related self-joined table.

• 11. Re: Host unable to handle portal filter/sort
                              philmodjunk

To relookup, put the focus in the match field used in the relationship, not the field that looks up the data.

• 13. Re: Host unable to handle portal filter/sort
                                sdurante

I tried changing what the lookup refers to, another plan text field, and I get the same message when I relookup, different but appropriate "wrong" field.

Dead end? There's still something I'm not getting about lookups.

• 14. Re: Host unable to handle portal filter/sort
                                  philmodjunk

and again, you don't have the focus on the correct field.

Neither field named in the dialog is the match field in your relationship.

Say you want to do a relook up from Table B into table A, And that this will copy data from TableB::DataField1 int TableA::DatafieldA

Table A::MatchFieldY = TableB::MatchFIeldX

You go to a layout based on Table A, click or tab into MatchFieldY and then select relookup. FileMaker uses the field with the current focus to determine from which table occurrences to look up data.

Note that this will only relookup data into fields that use the "looked up value" auto enter field option. Fields that use an auto-enter calculation will not update when you do the relookup.

1 2 Previous Next