4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 2:59 PM by TKnTexas55

FileMaker supports Linux(Ubuntu) in Future?

Suresh

Dear Team,

Good Day!!

I'm planning to move from Windows to Ubuntu Platform / Windows Server to RedHat Server

I know that FileMaker is not freeware, But Just to know that In future is there any possibilities which FileMaker supports for Linux(Ubuntu).

Why because if it supports for Linux, it will be very easy for developers!

Sorry, if i asked anything wrong!

- Suresh

• 1. Re: FileMaker supports Linux(Ubuntu) in Future?
          Johan Hedman

FileMaker make choices depending in what is on the market. Noone at FMI would ever tell when or if Ubuntu will be possible for FIleMaker until it is a new version released for that. So building anything right now for FileMaker in Ubuntu is not the right way to go. Stay where FileMaker have told that they will continue to be on there Roadmap

FileMaker Product Roadmap

• 2. Re: FileMaker supports Linux(Ubuntu) in Future?
            nicolai

There use to be a version of FileMaker Server running on Red Hat, I think it was 6, but it had too many problem and i do not think it was selling well.

FMCloud server is running on a custom Linux server, but it is not Ubuntu or Red Hat. So, Linux version is possible in the future if FMI sees a commercial advantage of releasing it.

If you are forced to change OS look at wine  (which is not officially supported) or run Windows on VM

• 3. Re: FileMaker supports Linux(Ubuntu) in Future?
              wimdecorte

nicolai wrote:

There use to be a version of FileMaker Server running on Red Hat, I think it was 6, but it had too many problem and i do not think it was selling well.

Back in those days, FMS didn't sell separate OS versions.  You just bought FMS and got all 3 the installers: Mac, Windows and Linux.  I don't think they had a a good way to track how many Linux deployments were out there.

I used the Linux version all the time and was very happy with it.

Here are two product ideas to vote up.  I don't think there is a submitted product idea for FMP on Linux, doesn't seem to be in much demand, but go ahead and create one so that people can vote on it.

On-Premise Linux version of FMS

FileMaker Server for Linux

• 4. Re: FileMaker supports Linux(Ubuntu) in Future?
                TKnTexas55

I ran FMS 5.5 on RedHat Linux.  Was very stable and we used it through our VPN to a location about 2 miles away.

I have always been of the opinion that FMS should run on Window Server and Linux Server.