1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2017 1:36 AM by bigtom

Runtime on FMS?

bigtom

I have seen some mentions in the Upload to FMS docs and in the FMS Admin Console that a runtime can be hosted on FMS. What does hosting a Runtime on FMS solution do? Why?

I searched and could not find any info on this.

• 1. Re: Runtime on FMS?
          Johan Hedman

Interesting questions. I have never tried that

• 2. Re: Runtime on FMS?
            wimdecorte

bigtom wrote:

I have seen some mentions in the Upload to FMS docs and in the FMS Admin Console that a runtime can be hosted on FMS. What does hosting a Runtime on FMS solution do? Why?

I searched and could not find any info on this.

You might find some old VTC server tutorials that I did back for FMS 7 / 8 / 9 that show this in action.

In essence it is a feature that allows you to take the FM files that were originally bundled as a runtime and that now have a file extension that is different than .fmp12, to be hosted on FMS.  Basically you register the 'custom' extension so that FMS knows to treat those files as regular FM files.

With those files hosted, clients will need a full version of FMP or FMG to access the files.  They can't access the files fro inside a runtime.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Runtime on FMS?
              bigtom

Interesting. I still don't fully understand but I will look around for your old tutorials. Not sure what the point would be of doing this but just want to understand it.

• 4. Re: Runtime on FMS?
                beverly

bigtom, perhaps you should think this way:

Runtime = 'engine' (that ONLY runs the bound files) AND the database file(s)

The engine is a version of FMPro that can only view the file(s) attached (bound) to it. But because the files are the files, you can move them away from the 'engine' and open with FileMaker Pro, FileMaker Go, or host on FileMaker Server.

WHY? because you need multi-user networking (FMS hosted). Or because you need to revise something and it should still be able to be 'run' by the 'engine' unless you need to add files and re-bind. Or because you want to have the file on iPad and use FMGo as the 'engine'. Also, there are some features that are not available with the use of runtimes.

beverly

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Runtime on FMS?
                  wimdecorte

+1 to what beverly says.

Sometimes you start with a runtime but outgrow it and you need to implement FMS.  If you don't have access to the original non-bound files then your only option is to register the runtime extension on FMS and host the files that were embedded in the runtime.

• 6. Re: Runtime on FMS?
                    MichaelManousos

if you just change the extension from pmpur to fmp12 you dont need to register anything and if you change back to fmpur the file "remebers" the bound with the runtime.

• 7. Re: Runtime on FMS?
                      wimdecorte

Which is not always a good idea if you have hard-coded references in a multi-file solution...  The only safe way to rename files is to run them through the developer tools.  And you can safe yourself the aggravation with this feature.

• 8. Re: Runtime on FMS?
                        MichaelManousos

I start developing since filemaker 7 so I really never developed a multi-file solution I prefer to work in a single file. Basically I just use runtimes for demo purposes but you are right if you are doing that.

• 9. Re: Runtime on FMS?
                          wimdecorte

MichaelManousos wrote:

I start developing since filemaker 7 so I really never developed a multi-file solution I prefer to work in a single file.

Topic for a different thread; but there are good reasons to consider not doing that.  All depends on the size and nature of the solution obviously.  If you want to dig deeper into that, start a a new topic for conversation.

• 10. Re: Runtime on FMS?
                            MichaelManousos

No there is no need. Only for the separational model I would use multi-file I prefer keeping things in a single file. Of course it depends on the needs and the data size and other factors. People who started developing prior to 7 the used multi user files since it was one table per file so I think maybe they prefer this method.

Anyway as I said you are right about the reason to register runtimes. Of course you stop using it as a runtime since a runtime cant connect to a server

• 11. Re: Runtime on FMS?
                              beverly

other threads on the 'multi-file' solution/database...

I do that for the UI/data separation, of course, but also for backup purposes. Some files/databases/tables can be simply for lookups and not updated but annually. No need to include in daily backups!

• 12. Re: Runtime on FMS?
                                wimdecorte

And by extension for disaster recovery and business continuity purposes.  Having huge static tables are best split off and that can help a lot in achieving shorter restore points and times.

• 13. Re: Runtime on FMS?
                                  bigtom

So when a runtime is hosted it becomes a regular multi user file? I will

just have to try it and see maybe.

• 14. Re: Runtime on FMS?
                                    beverly

when the FILES that are "bound" with a runtime engine are placed on FMS they are multi-user. The engine is not uploaded to FMS, only the database files.

beverly

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                    1 2 Previous Next