2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 11:58 AM by philmodjunk

Clone has records??

jayGamel

mac, 10.12.3, FMP 11 v 4

I have a pretty basic subscriber DB with name, address, payments, accessing a separate issue DB to figure subscription end dates given start date, and a couple of misc. buttons, like "hold" or "send renewal letter."

Im getting ready to purge a lot of expired subscribers and wanted to save them to a cloned version (subscribers deleted) first.

PROBLEM: when I Save As Clone (no records) what looks like a completely separate file with the new name turns out to be some kind of ghost file with all the records in it. When I deleted all the records in the clone file, all the records from the main file disappeared, too. Same thing when I just made a duplicate file in the folder using the mac system. Deleting records from the copy file deleted from the old file at the same time. Major weird.

Any ideas? this does not seem like correct behavior at all.

Jay Gamel

• 1. Re: Clone has records??
          mikebeargie

filemaker pro 11 is not supported on OSX 10.12. It is also past it's complete end of life support.

• 2. Re: Clone has records??
            philmodjunk

Sounds like you might have cloned an interface file for a solution designed to use data separation. Since the data isn't in the interface file to begin with, A clone of the interface file is identical to the original and still shows data from the data file. Deleting the records would then delete the records from the data file and both copies of the interface file, the original and your clone will show that the records have been deleted.

Open Manage | Database | Relationships and look at the names of your Table Occurrence boxes and hover a mouse over the arrow in the left corner of each. I suspect that the titles are all italicized--indicating an external data source and that hovering over the corner will show you the name of your data file. You can also see the name of this file in Manage | External Data Sources if I am correct.