9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2017 7:23 AM by tays01s

Navigating tabs

tays01s

I am trying to create a new 'Biochem record' (Biochem table) in a portal (Biochem object) on the tab_Biochem object tab of Patient_U layout (Patient table), script below:

1 Freeze Window

2 Set Variable [ $BiochemID; Value:Patient::__uuID ]

3 Go to Layout [ “Biochem” (Biochem) ]

4 New Record/Request

5 Set Field [ Biochem::_PatientuuID; $BiochemID ]

6 Go to Layout [ “Patient_U” (Patient) ]

7 Go to Object [ Object Name: "tab_Biochem" ]

8 Go to Object [ Object Name: "Biochem" ]

Though the above works, because I have set another tab (tab_Calc) on the Patient_U layout as the tab to go back to as std, despite 'Freeze Window', the user is first taken to Calc tab, before seeing Biochem object. BTW, line 7 is probably obsolete; it didn't make any difference.

Can I create a new Biochem record without the user seeing the switching between records?

• 1. Re: Navigating tabs
          CarlSchwarz

remove line 7. That probably is refreshing the display. do you have a script trigger on the layout that is running on layout enter?   Otherwise you can create a new window off screen and close it in this script.

• 2. Re: Navigating tabs
            Menno

Is there a script-trigger on the biochemical-layout or the field Biochem::_PatientuuID?

• 3. Re: Navigating tabs
              tays01s

I've removed line 7; no effect. There aren't script triggers on either biochem layout or Biochem::_PatientuuID but there is a 'stay on panel' trigger on the tabs to prevent the User leaving the Calc tab (the one the User is automatically taken to when the Patient_U layout is opened) if 2 specific fields are empty.

I've tried missing out Go to Patient or original layout and instead going to the portal object, but of course that does not work.

• 4. Re: Navigating tabs
                SteveMartino
                but there is a 'stay on panel' trigger on the tabs to prevent the User leaving the Calc tab (the one the User is automatically taken to when the Patient_U layout is opened)

Are your sure this isn't firing a trigger script in Line 6?  Seems like it would.

• 5. Re: Navigating tabs
                  Menno

maybe you should "tweak" the "stay on panel" trigger a bit together with the "create new biochem" script:

add two lines to your "biochem" script:

line 2.5: Set-Variable ( $$notrigger ; 1 ) and line 9: Set-Variable ( $$notrigger ; "" )

Add and exit-script within an if-end at the beginning of your "stay on panel" script with $$notrigger = 1 in the clause.

and try again

• 6. Re: Navigating tabs
                    philmodjunk

There's a different approach that you can use to create your related record that leaves tab panels unchanged and does not trip any script triggers:

MagicKey

If you websearch MagicKey, you can find some excellent articles on the technique. If you search this forum for an instructional file called:

Adventures In FileMaking #2

The final example, "Buton Bars as Value Lists" uses this method if you want to see a working example.

• 7. Re: Navigating tabs
                      tays01s

Tweaking the stay on panel and new Biochem scripts worked fine.

Phil: I'll read up on magic keys. It won't be the first time I've later gone back to your suggestion as a strategic improvement.

• 8. Re: Navigating tabs
                        beverly

good articles about Magic Key:

beverly

• 9. Re: Navigating tabs
                          tays01s

Thanks Beverly,

I'll do some reading!