2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2017 3:44 AM by wimdecorte

FM server External Authentication - Role based account Auth Issues

reachphani1

I am having this particular problem with a role based account when databases are authenticated externally.

My FM 15 server on Windows is like this

FM 15 server running on Windows 2008 R2

Windows is part of the domain

created all user groups on Windows server as local groups

added ad users to each group based on FM privilege sets (Authorization). Please note i do NOT add users to domain and it is Help Desk responsibility.

The above setup has been working well for person based accounts for a while.

Recently I've this role based account giving me grief and authentication fails every time. The same account is working fine for other network services (e.g. email, VPN). This rules out general authentication problems. The problem is ONLY when logging in to FM databases hosted on server.

I understand FM server may form a search query that possibly looks like this

&(objectClass="People";AccntName="ADAccount") and sent off to Directory Services. I am suspecting for role based accounts, the objectClass may not be people (its a Role) and due to this the authentication fails.

The question here is

1. Does FM server forms a query string that is sent to Domain Controller? If not how does it authenticate existing users of a domain.

2. If so, where is that created and how this can be modified.

As you may understand, my theory is based on FM Server forming a query string to send info to AD's Directory Service. I may be wrong too.

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

• 1. Re: FM server External Authentication - Role based account Auth Issues
          MiyukiImaizumi

Hi!

1.Did you set your server at the first step of install Windows OS to be belong to the Domain Server?

2.Did you set Security as 'FileMaker and external server accounts' which appears in Databases>Security?

Directory service settings is not for authentication, its purpose is that

'When FileMaker Server is registered with a directory service, host names and IP addresses are published to the directory service so that FileMaker Pro clients can use the directory service to find the server on a network.'-refer from FileMaker Server Help.

• 2. Re: FM server External Authentication - Role based account Auth Issues
            wimdecorte

reachphani1 wrote:

I understand FM server may form a search query that possibly looks like this

&(objectClass="People";AccntName="ADAccount") and sent off to Directory Services. I am suspecting for role based accounts, the objectClass may not be people (its a Role) and due to this the authentication fails.

The question here is

1. Does FM server forms a query string that is sent to Domain Controller? If not how does it authenticate existing users of a domain.

That theory is completely faulty.

(If this indicates that you also use the 'directory service' tab on FMS: don't do that.  That tab has nothing whatsoever to do with authentication the user and can only lead to confusion like this).

The exact mechanism of the communication between FMS and AD varies depending on the client's setup.  If the client is already logged into their workstation using AD credentials; whether that workstation is Windows or not,...

But regardless of all that, the actual communication to the AD is not done by FMS but by the operating system of the FMS machine so it follows the protocol of the OS.  There is nothing to intercept or change on the FMS side.

Why have local groups on the FMS machine in this AD scenario?  Why not create groups in the AD?  This mix and match can not make the security folks happy and would make the deployment fail a security audit in most organizations?

Can you provide a little more detail when it comes to group names and group memberships?

How is the authentication order in FM set up?

Any chance that there is a matching group by that name in the actual AD?  If so that would make it fail if the user does not belong to the AD group by that name.