1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2017 11:38 AM by JackRodges

How can Filemaker Go 15 still be such a buggy mess almost a year after it was released?

jgalt

Where are the FileMaker Go updates to fix all of the bugs?

I just met with a major client and showed them a solution designed to run on FileMaker Go 15. Let's just say that it did not go too well. My customer has high standards and expects me to produce a polished looking app. Despite FileMaker's marketing hype this is pretty much impossible given all of the interface bugs that plague FMGO.

If all you care about is the data...then FileMaker Go is just fine and you can stop reading right now. But if you are a perfectionist that cares about how your solution looks then you should avoid using FMGO 15. It is a buggy mess that should have never made it out of beta testing!

Two years after the introduction of Navigation Parts they still do not work correctly on FMGO. They don't redraw properly when switching between layouts. In addition to the flashing issue navigation parts have a bug that adds extra height to your other parts which causes your other interface parts to slide off screen for no apparent reason. This makes your interface look like it was designed by a hack that has no sense of design.

Then there's the issue with entering data into fields. If you use a special input method (such as the date or time options) the cursor gets pushed to the top edge of the field even if you have the input alignment set to the middle...but the placeholder text is confusingly still aligned to to the center. (Another example of sloppy programing that has not been fixed after a year.)

Then Filemaker adds another layer of stupid to your solution with their messed up special input options which continue to confuse users. For example, if you want the user to insert the current date using the special input method the user cannot simply click on the current date to insert it into the field. No, that would make too much sense. Instead, FileMaker forces the user to scroll to a previous or future date and then scroll back to the current date before they are able to click to insert it. How was this bug not fixed the week after FMGO 14 was released?

I thought FileMaker was a decent size company with hundreds of people. How is it possible that bugs such as these even make it to a released product? How is it possible that these bugs don't get fixed even two years after they are reported?

Are these issues going to be fixed?

• 1. Re: How can Filemaker Go 15 still be such a buggy mess almost a year after it was released?
          jgalt

Are these issues going to be fixed?

I assume the answer is NO?

• 2. Re: How can Filemaker Go 15 still be such a buggy mess almost a year after it was released?
            planteg

Because of NDA, no one is allowed to talk about a future version. You will have to wait for it to be released.

• 3. Re: How can Filemaker Go 15 still be such a buggy mess almost a year after it was released?
              jgalt

The fine folks at FileMaker are not under an NDA are perfectly able to answer my questions.

• 4. Re: How can Filemaker Go 15 still be such a buggy mess almost a year after it was released?
                taylorsharpe

There may be some bugs out there, but good developers do a lot of testing and have workaround for the bugs and work those out before showing clients.  Good solutions require a lot of testing and trying to break solutions by doing the unexpected.  If I encounter a bug, I almost always have a different way to work the solution to get the needed result.  And there are bugs in FM Pro too, just not many. 

If you run into actual bugs, then report them and move on with the workaround.  It's just what good developers do. 

I personally have done quite a bit of FM Go development and I cannot come to the same conclusion that you have about there being a lot of bugs.  There are some, but not that many. 

Obviously you are frustrated.  Don't let frustration stop you in your tracks.  Get creative on alternative methods to achieving the same goal.  If Navigation parts at not working for you, then avoid them and use normal headers and footers.  Feel free to show examples here for others to give you ideas or tips.  And of course report the bugs.  Just don't wait for another version before you put together something good for your client that works now!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How can Filemaker Go 15 still be such a buggy mess almost a year after it was released?
                  skywillmott

I agree, and have been able to produce some amazing pixel-perfect solutions for Go 15. Yes it does take testing and modifications and workarounds to get everything working just right, but it can be done, and to a very high standard.

Things like avoiding using the native date picker and building our own calendar popup can work much better, and making sure to do things like keeping Top Navigation parts the exact same height between layouts makes a difference in smoothness of screen redraw when navigating between layouts.

I've also done things like use a new 'window' when navigating to a form view from a list layout. You can then simply have a 'back' button that closes that window to return the user to the exact same position in the list layout as where they were before. Makes for a very snappy interface.

Biggest bug for me though has to be the bloated PDFs that get produced by Go 15 when exporting layouts that have containers with images - sure hoping that gets fixed :-)

• 6. Re: How can Filemaker Go 15 still be such a buggy mess almost a year after it was released?
                    jgalt

Unfortunately I have not found any viable workarounds for the bugs that I mentioned. I need a non-scrolling header that I can use in form view that does not flash or introduce extra height to the body when switching between layouts. I need input methods for dates and times that that actually work.

I can see that these bugs have already been reported (some of them more than a year ago) and here we are today without them being fixed. There is no excuse for this other than FileMaker having a total lack of respect for their customers.

FileMaker is touting their mobile capabilities on their home page and in every marketing promo that I have seen from them...yet the product is incapable of producing what I would consider a professional solution.

• 7. Re: How can Filemaker Go 15 still be such a buggy mess almost a year after it was released?
                      jgalt

skywillmott wrote:

things like keeping Top Navigation parts the exact same height between layouts makes a difference in smoothness of screen redraw when navigating between layouts.

Yes, if you have navigation parts that are the exact same size you can eliminate flashing. Unfortunately I need layouts with different size navigation parts... and also layouts that have both top and bottom navigation.

The bigger problem is that the navigation parts add whatever their height is to the body. This causes interface elements that are supposed to be in a fixed position float up and down. I have not found any workaround that solves this issue.

• 8. Re: How can Filemaker Go 15 still be such a buggy mess almost a year after it was released?
                        jgalt

skywillmott wrote:

Things like avoiding using the native date picker and building our own calendar popup can work much better, and making sure to do things like keeping Top Navigation parts the exact same height between layouts makes a difference in smoothness of screen redraw when navigating between layouts.

It's hard to believe that we are still being forced to do this laborious workaround two years after the calendar and time input methods were introduced. What a slap in the face to FileMaker developers.

I've also done things like use a new 'window' when navigating to a form view from a list layout. You can then simply have a 'back' button that closes that window to return the user to the exact same position in the list layout as where they were before. Makes for a very snappy interface.

Yes, this is a good technique that I have been using regularly.

• 9. Re: How can Filemaker Go 15 still be such a buggy mess almost a year after it was released?
                          philmodjunk

"It's hard to believe that we are still being forced to do this laborious workaround two years after the calendar and time input methods were introduced."

The date picker that I use doesn't take much more than copy/paste to add to a layout so it may have been laborious to create but isn't so just to add where needed to my solutions.

• 10. Re: How can Filemaker Go 15 still be such a buggy mess almost a year after it was released?
                            guy

You know, if you really dislike the platform that much, and having read your other posts it seems that you do, find another platform that suits your aesthetic and provides the RAD multiplatform capability that FM gives you for the price.

If you find one, let me know, because I certainly haven't.

Until then use the SDK to make branded apps, way more professional looking than using the standard FMGo, all your files and associated media are hidden. Use URL scheme to open and pass parameters to submodules seamlessly and allow you to live update your solutions from FMP Server.

Custom popover based keyboard always look better than the native ones and they work how you intend them to, because you decide how they should work. Yes, they can be a pain to set up, but one has to suffer for ones art.

For myself, I'm constantly amazed how versatile the platform is, just how productive it makes me and the value it brings for the organisation I work for. I am willing to compromise and figure out work arounds for niggles until the next release hopefully sorts it.

Here is hoping FM16 resolves your issues. Not long now. Hopefully.

• 11. Re: How can Filemaker Go 15 still be such a buggy mess almost a year after it was released?
                              Malcolm

Wow, sorry the pitch didn't go well. Are you feeling any better yet?

taylorsharpe has some good points in relation to development practice. If you can rephrase any of the spray above as a questions with specifics there maybe someone here who can address them.

If you are also the sales team, it is going to be your job to manage your client's expectations as well. Client's will often get hung up on minor details. You need to tell them what they are going to get and what they are not going to get. If you say, "This app is going to blow you away," you'd better blow them away. If you say, "We have an app in development that may suit you. The interface isn't complete but the business logic is in place and we're pretty happy with the progress. Do you want to see it?" then you have opened up a conversation which allows them to participate. You can do the pitch, they can say "there's some funky UI bugs", you can say, "that's what we're working on." It isn't  an all or nothing situation anymore. It's not a fly or fall. The software doesn't let you down. Your client is getting an insider's view and they may want to get on board, bugs and all.

Malcolm

• 12. Re: How can Filemaker Go 15 still be such a buggy mess almost a year after it was released?
                                jgalt

I tried FileMaker Go a couple of years ago and gave up after I realized what a disaster it was. Then I see FileMaker raising their prices and touting how you can create wonderful apps for the new FMGO 14 & 15. So I decide to give it another try. At first glance it seems like they have added new features that solve many of the earlier problems. Then after committing to do a project for a customer I discover that FMGO 15 has some serious interface bugs that prevent you from producing professional looking work. (Again...if you just care about the data, it's fine.) I personally don't have any interest in producing stuff that looks like crap, and right now this is what FileMaker 15 reduces your work to.

Is it really too much to expect FileMaker to fix bugs two years after they have been reported? What on earth are they doing over there?

• 13. Re: How can Filemaker Go 15 still be such a buggy mess almost a year after it was released?
                                  dkb

I understand your frustration but ANY software has bugs. I manage teams that develop enterprise-level software using a wide array of technologies; there isn't a single technology that doesn't require workarounds, and the more technologies being integrated, the more workarounds are required.

For projects I personally develop, my platform of choice is FileMaker. I can often create a superior product/service for a tenth on the cost of our team-based, multi-tech projects - and with more professional polish, as well.

In most every case, the key is to master your tool(s), and FileMaker is easier to master than most. There is a wealth of knowledge in these forums, from tips and tricks to bug workarounds, and a great community that is always willing to roll up their sleeves and help on short notice.

I have been developing complex solutions that include a Go component since Go first shipped. While a bit rough in the beginning, I've been amazed by the product roadmap and look forward to great new features each year. If you can find a comparable technology that you are more comfortable with, you may want to focus on it. But for my money - and my clients' money - I'm very happy with the FileMaker Platform.

• 14. Re: How can Filemaker Go 15 still be such a buggy mess almost a year after it was released?
                                    fmpdude

I think most companies today wrongly equate "more features, more features!" with "better", rather than making their software more usable and less bug-ridden.

I too have reported bugs that have never been fixed. When I followed up on that reporting months later it was though FMI doesn't even use, well, FMP, to manage their bug lists.

The FMP JDBC driver has container bugs which are bad and have never been fixed release after release requiring time-consuming workarounds from me, naturally. But, it is usually possible to workaround those issues.

I'm similarly baffled why FMP bugs go unfixed and the only last really supported version is, well, the current one.

It's possible that after 30 years, the FMP source code is an unmitigated mess of spaghetti code that few understand. Developers who used to know it may have left the company or retired.

FMP is the only software I use that isn't constantly updated with fixes.

MS Office for example, still maintains my Office 2011 software with regular updates. My IDE software updates usually at least once a month with new features. I could go on and on.

1 2 Previous Next