AnsweredAssumed Answered

How can Filemaker Go 15 still be such a buggy mess almost a year after it was released?

Question asked by jgalt on Apr 25, 2017
Latest reply on May 2, 2017 by JackRodges

Where are the FileMaker Go updates to fix all of the bugs?

I just met with a major client and showed them a solution designed to run on FileMaker Go 15. Let's just say that it did not go too well. My customer has high standards and expects me to produce a polished looking app. Despite FileMaker's marketing hype this is pretty much impossible given all of the interface bugs that plague FMGO.

If all you care about is the data...then FileMaker Go is just fine and you can stop reading right now. But if you are a perfectionist that cares about how your solution looks then you should avoid using FMGO 15. It is a buggy mess that should have never made it out of beta testing!

Two years after the introduction of Navigation Parts they still do not work correctly on FMGO. They don't redraw properly when switching between layouts. In addition to the flashing issue navigation parts have a bug that adds extra height to your other parts which causes your other interface parts to slide off screen for no apparent reason. This makes your interface look like it was designed by a hack that has no sense of design.

Then there's the issue with entering data into fields. If you use a special input method (such as the date or time options) the cursor gets pushed to the top edge of the field even if you have the input alignment set to the middle...but the placeholder text is confusingly still aligned to to the center. (Another example of sloppy programing that has not been fixed after a year.)

Then Filemaker adds another layer of stupid to your solution with their messed up special input options which continue to confuse users. For example, if you want the user to insert the current date using the special input method the user cannot simply click on the current date to insert it into the field. No, that would make too much sense. Instead, FileMaker forces the user to scroll to a previous or future date and then scroll back to the current date before they are able to click to insert it. How was this bug not fixed the week after FMGO 14 was released?

I thought FileMaker was a decent size company with hundreds of people. How is it possible that bugs such as these even make it to a released product? How is it possible that these bugs don't get fixed even two years after they are reported?

Are these issues going to be fixed?

Outcomes