2 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 2:35 PM by philmodjunk

How to count results from value lists using checkboxes?

colin_mayo

I currently have a field that has 3 options populated using a Value List (Yes/No/Lost to FollowUp). I am wondering what formula would be best to count each of the following:

-Total number of "Yes"

-Total number of "No"

-Total number of "Lost to FollowUp"

I guess I do not really need an answer for each specifically, as the general principle is the same. I just find myself stumped as how to ask FileMaker to count each occurrence.

Thank you

• 1. Re: How to count results from value lists using checkboxes?
          philmodjunk

This is a case where a field formatted with a group of check boxes isn't your best approach. 3 separate fields with a single value, value list for each makes it simpler as you can then count the number of records where a given field is not empty to find out how many records have a specific check box selected.

It's also possible to set up what looks like a check box field, but uses buttons to create records in a related table--one record for each selected value. You can then count records with specific values to get your count.

To get counts from your current set up, you'd need to set up some calculation fields such as:

Not IsEmpty ( FilterValues ( CheckboxField ; "Yes" ) )

with a number result selected. Counting or summing this field will give you the number of records where "yes" is selected.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to count results from value lists using checkboxes?
            philmodjunk

To see a working example of:

It's also possible to set up what looks like a check box field, but uses buttons to create records in a related table--one record for each selected value. You can then count records with specific values to get your count.

Check out the "check boxes with scrollbars II" example in this teaching file:

Adventures in FileMaking #2--enhanced value selection