2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2017 3:34 PM by philmodjunk

having problems making a report with summarys

HenryRobinson
      • server 15
      • pro advanced 15

I am going to try and explain what I am trying to do but I also attached an example file that I am guessing will do a much better job of explaining.

I have 4 tables one main table and 3 related tables. 2 of the related tables have one or more records with values attached to one main table record. I have all the values of the 2 related tables totaled on the main table. I then would like to make a report using the 4th table that totals all the found records values... man I am confusing myself. Please look at the attached example I think it makes it clear.  The problem is the grand total and sub summarys are only showing values for the last record.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help

• 1. Re: having problems making a report with summarys
          philmodjunk

Without looking at your file:

The problem is the grand total and sub summarys are only showing values for the last record.

This is expected behavior for a summary field from a related table. If the summary field were from the layout's table, it summarizes the records of the found set. If the summary field is from a related table, the total is calculated from the set of related records linked to one record of your found set and for a summary field in a footer or trailing grand summary, this will (in preview mode or when printing) be from the context of the last record.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: having problems making a report with summarys
            philmodjunk

The fix for this is either to change your layout context so that the summary field does not come from a related table or to do this:

Set up a calculation field that gets the summary value from the related record for each record in your found set. This can be a calculation that refers to the summary field in the related table or it can use an aggregate function such as sum, count, average.... to calculate the needed value. Then add a summary field to your layout's table that summarizes this added calculation field.