8 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2017 12:48 PM by TSGal

Tab Settings locked at 1 point

Philip_Jaffe

I know this is a newbie question, and I remember coming across this problem along time agao (maybe FM 11?).  I remember figuring it out before, but it has recurred and I can't remember what I did last time.

FMPA 15

In Layout mode, adding new text by clicking the Text tool and clicking where I want the cursor to start...

My left and right margins are defaulting to the same place, so when I type, I get a one pixel wide text block that goes vertically down the page.

If I drag out a text box before I start typing, no problem.  But just clicking to type  gets me this: (See screen shot).  Where do I adjust this default behavior?  I can't remember.  Must be an area that I rarely use.

• 1. Re: Tab Settings locked at 1 point
          philmodjunk

I see that from time to time when I add layout text. Haven't figured out why it happens only part of the time, but it's easily fixed by dragging a handle so it's mainly an annoyance for me. And if you click and drag to the right instead of just clicking, you avoid the issue as long as you drag far enough to make the text box as wide as you need.

• 2. Re: Tab Settings locked at 1 point
            Philip_Jaffe

Yea, that's what I've been doing.  But it is annoying. I thought it might be a default setting but maybe it's just a bug.

• 3. Re: Tab Settings locked at 1 point
              TSGal

Philip_Jaffe:

Thank you for your posts.

With the Text tool selected, you can click and drag on the layout to set the size/width of the text block.  That is, if you click and drag approximately 2 inches to the right, the text block will be a maximum of 2 inches.  You can then later adjust the size if needed.  If you just click on the layout without dragging, then the size of the text block will expand as needed.

A common case, and something that has occurred to me many times, is when clicking on the layout, I accidentally drag the tool one pixel and that sets the maximum width at one pixel.  To save time, I generally just delete the object, and click again making sure I don't drag it.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Tab Settings locked at 1 point
                Philip_Jaffe

That is exactly it.  Thank you!  My mouse is super-sensitive and if my click is not perfectly still, it is dragging 1 or 2 pixels.  That explains why it appeared to be an intermittent problem.

I love my magic mouse, but the scroll being everywhere on its surface and not just a little track ball does get annoying in layout mode.

Well, at least I now know what is going on and why.

Thanks  @TSGal!

Philip

• 5. Re: Tab Settings locked at 1 point
                  philmodjunk

I have this happen with just a plain vanilla mouse. I would suggest that this part of the UI code is a bit too sensitive and needs adjustment.

• 6. Re: Tab Settings locked at 1 point
                    TSGal

philmodjunk:

I have sent a request to Development and Testing to review this action.  I also recommend you post this suggestion to the Product Ideas board at:    Product Ideas

The Product Ideas board is monitored by Product Management and Development.  All suggestions are read, discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Tab Settings locked at 1 point
                      philmodjunk

But this is a bug not a feature request.

• 8. Re: Tab Settings locked at 1 point
                        TSGal

Philip_Jaffe:

Our Testing and Development departments are already aware of this limitation, and your post has been attached to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.