2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2017 2:52 PM by philmodjunk

Print Output of a Subsummary report - Need a "Report Whisperer"

JamesRiefstahl

Hi guys,

(FMP 12, Windows) I REALLY want to use and promote filemaker as a solution at work over excel for meeting minutes, but I've hit  2 snags when it comes to output that I can't understand the report output logic/rules.  And lord knows, if it can't output professionally, they throw the baby out with the bath water...

I've created a subsummary layout for meeting minutes.  Main table is "Minutes," and it's being subsummarized by the parent "Issues" table.  MM in Layout.JPGMM SS Part Definition.JPG

I have each subsummary's and body part definition set to "allow part to break across page boundaries".

I've attached a pdf of the meeting minutes that shows both issues:

1) page 3 - what the heck is that extended black block, and why?  I've seen that happen on other reports, never understood what it is, why it does that.  It's as if FMP is trying to fill the remaining page with subsummary.

2)Pages 4-5; 5-6; 6-7; 7-8 - there's an unusually large space at the bottom of the pages.  It's not filling up the pages.

A) How can I get FMP to break across the page

B) Between 5 and 6, the next "item" 82-9 on page 6 can clearly can fit at the bottom of page 5; and same with page 7 and 8, 75-1 can scoot down to bottom of page 7.

What am I missing?

• 1. Re: Print Output of a Subsummary report - Need a "Report Whisperer"
          philmodjunk

Instead of download links from drop box, just use the picture tool in the reply tool bar to upload them. This makes it much easier to review your screen shots.

Do you have items on the layout set to "slide up" and to "resize enclosing part"?

As I recall, there was a bug in FileMaker 12 that resulting in sliding objects screwing up the page breaks in sub summary reports with sliding objects.

I'd download a trial copy of FileMaker 15 and see if it does any differently with your report.

• 2. Re: Print Output of a Subsummary report - Need a "Report Whisperer"
            JamesRiefstahl

Thanks guys.  I used the pic inline feature.

Phil, I started reducing variables.  Finally got down to selecting ALL of the fields - in both subsummaries and body, and selecting the "slide up" and "reduce enclosing part" (this was not done previously, only the body had that, as the subsummaries were single lined entities).  At an rate, it has helped some - see attached. I had a blank black bar on the bottom of the page 6, so I removed the part definition of allowing to break across pages, which resolved that issue...sigh, guess I'm the whisperer.  I may have to take your advice and move up to 15, if I have to jump through these types of hoops, when "it's so easy" in excel to print and modify page breaks etc.  Try explaining this logic to a newb just trying to get a good looking report out...