1 2 3 Previous Next 65 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2017 10:01 AM by JackRodges

Clients IT Dept Restarting the FM Server machine

dermot

Hi Folks,

I have a client running approx 7GB of filemaker files on a virtual setup..

If I ever have to reboot the clients FM Server instance I always ensure that I ask users to log out first, then check in the stats window on the FM Server console to ensure anyone who hasn't logged out (and there are always some) are not running any processes .. and if I see no activity I simply disconnect the remaining users and then stop the Filemaker Server services ... and reboot..

All works a treat ...

However, I was wondering what would happen if the clients IT dept simply either:-

1/ Stopped the filemaker services.. and then rebooted the server instance (without using the FM Console to ensure users are logged out)

2/ Rebooted the server (without doing anything else)

Will either option be safe for the files or not ?

Thanks in advance :-)

Dermot

• 1. Re: Clients IT Dept Restarting the FM Server machine
          TSGal

dermot:

Thank you for your post.

If clients are writing to the file when the server is rebooted, the file could be damaged.  This would be the same as writing information to your local machine and turning it off.

If this occurs, when FileMaker Server reboots and tries to open the file, FileMaker Server will recognize that the file(s) were not closed properly and then perform a consistency check.  If FileMaker Server cannot open a file, then the file is damaged.  If this is the case, move the file to your local machine, run Recover on the file and see if FileMaker Pro can fix it.  If so, go to a backup of the file, and import the records from the damaged file.  Then, upload the backup file with the latest imported information back to the server.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Clients IT Dept Restarting the FM Server machine
            dermot

Thanks TSGal,

I presumed a reboot would do that .. just making sure  (I will stress again to their IT team NOT to ever do this)

But what happens if they stop the filemaker service first ... Would that be ok ? ...

As I explained in my post, if I was going to stop the services I would ensure all users are logged out first .. but their IT team dont have access to the FM console so they cant do this..

Many Thanks

Dermot

• 3. Re: Clients IT Dept Restarting the FM Server machine
              dermot

I guess what Im asking is ... Does stopping the services actually close down the database securely even if there are/were users connected ?

• 4. Re: Clients IT Dept Restarting the FM Server machine
                TSGal

dermot:

Stopping the service will stop the database files so they can close.  However, I recommend closing the database files first followed by the FileMaker service.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Clients IT Dept Restarting the FM Server machine
                  dermot

Thanks TSGal,

Still doesnt exactly tell me if its safe for their IT dept to simply stop the services & reboot or not though ... Is there no "definitive" answer on this ? ... on way or the other ??

Cheers

Dermot

• 6. Re: Clients IT Dept Restarting the FM Server machine
                    jormond

It really depends on what is happening with the server. And how gracefully is shuts down.

In practice, we always close the files first. That way we can ensure the files are in a  closed state when the server restarts. If they reboot the server without shutting down the files, you will often see some of the files run through a verification. That typically means the file was doing something when the service when down abruptly.

Kicking users is fine for the most part. Though we try not to do it forcefully, but that is more about letting the user finish what they are doing.

Stopping the FMS services should initiate the files to close. But there are instances where it doesn't gracefully finish before the server reboots. Those scenarios are bad for the files.

Restarting the server hardware, often is not graceful. So you need to make sure they have instructions about exactly what to do to protect the database files.

• 7. Re: Clients IT Dept Restarting the FM Server machine
                      mattel

We have our server set up to not automatically re-open the files and start automatically for this reason.  There was a seminar from DevCon 2016 (I think it was Devcon)  that spelled this out in more detail about recovering from a server crash (a hard reboot would be the same thing). Summary: if the server was not shutdown in the perfect scenario (disconnect all users, close all files, stop FM server, reboot OS), then there was a likely chance of corruption.  So you may need to go back to your last known good backup set of files instead of the most recent. 

Filemaker corruption was described by a very wise FileMaker developer -  as a man driving in the desert, shooting at random with every time a file was saved or modified.  Most of the time the bullets hit nothing but sand, but every now and then one hits something important.  That reference was more about not delivering a developed in the file, but rather delivering to your customer only files that were as golden as possible, with changes copied into them in bulk.  But I think it applies most of the time.

• 8. Re: Clients IT Dept Restarting the FM Server machine
                        DavidKamar

Have a look at FM Backup Manager.
                        IDMA - FM Backup Manager

It's a customised version of the FileMaker Admin Console.

It will allow you to automatically restore a file from progressive backups on startup if a file didn't close properly.

• 9. Re: Clients IT Dept Restarting the FM Server machine
                          dermot

Yes we have the server services set to "Manual" startup as well ....

BTW, we haven't actually had an issue .. Im just trying to pre-empt what "could" be the possible results if the clients IT team did either of the following:-

1/ Stopped the filemaker services.. and then rebooted the server instance (without using the FM Console to ensure users are logged out)

2/ Rebooted the server (without doing anything else)

and there seems to be no definitive answer ...

• 10. Re: Clients IT Dept Restarting the FM Server machine
                            james.saldana

When I read this it gives me the impression that FileMaker Server is extremely fragile.

The system should have some kind of journaling that automatically restores the system to the last stable state. So if the server crashes, the internet fails, etc,. it simply rolls a few seconds or milliseconds to the last stable point or gives the admin the option to restore to previous points with a click of a button.

• 11. Re: Clients IT Dept Restarting the FM Server machine
                              dermot

Yes Joshua,

When we shut down we try to do it as clean as possible also ...

"If I ever have to reboot the clients FM Server instance I always ensure that I ask users to log out first, then check in the stats window on the FM Server console to ensure anyone who hasn't logged out (and there are always some) are not running any processes .. and if I see no activity I simply disconnect the remaining users and then stop the Filemaker Server services ... and reboot.."

Wouldn't it be a good idea if, within the filemaker console, you had the ability to, not just force users to disconnect, but to "SAFELY" stop users triggering any new processes and close them out as soon as their current process (whatever it might be) has completed .. this way you know you are not disconnecting users in the middle of a process so you CANT cause any damage...

And you would obviously be able to see the status of users being logged out within the console so once you see everyone is out you can safely turn the FM services off ...

That would save developers and customers so much time and worry its unreal .... Im fed up guessing (hoping - by looking at the clients stats within fm console) that users are not performing any tasks when I force disconnect ... its a constant worry !!

• 12. Re: Clients IT Dept Restarting the FM Server machine
                                dermot

Yes Joshua,

"If I ever have to reboot the clients FM Server instance I always ensure that I ask users to log out first, then check in the stats window on the FM Server console to ensure anyone who hasn't logged out (and there are always some) are not running any processes .. and if I see no activity I simply disconnect the remaining users and then stop the Filemaker Server services ... and reboot.."

Wouldn't it be a good idea if, within the filemaker console, you had the ability to, not just force users to disconnect, but to "SAFELY" stop users triggering any new processes and close them out as soon as their current process (whatever it might be) has completed .. this way you know you are not disconnecting users in the middle of a process so you CANT cause any damage...

And you would obviously be able to see the status of users being logged out within the console so once you see everyone is out you can safely turn the FM services off ...

That would save developers and customers so much time and worry its unreal .... Im fed up guessing (hoping - by looking at the clients stats within fm console) that users are not performing any tasks when I force disconnect ... its a constant worry !!

• 13. Re: Clients IT Dept Restarting the FM Server machine
                                  james.saldana

dermot wrote:

Yes Joshua,

That would safe developers and customers so much time and worry its unreal .... Im fed up guessing (hoping - by looking at the clients stats within fm console) that users are not performing any tasks when I force disconnect ... its a constant worry !!

I'd assume that a currently running script would complete before FMS would log the user out.

• 14. Re: Clients IT Dept Restarting the FM Server machine
                                    james.saldana

james.saldana wrote:

dermot wrote:

Yes Joshua,

That would safe developers and customers so much time and worry its unreal .... Im fed up guessing (hoping - by looking at the clients stats within fm console) that users are not performing any tasks when I force disconnect ... its a constant worry !!

I'd assume that a currently running script would complete before FMS would log the user out.

I'd assume the same if the server were restarted. The FMS would complete the last active script sequence and then the process would shutdown and the server would restart.

1 2 3 Previous Next