14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2017 9:10 PM by itsrayland

Making a user button to turn Tooltip (TT) On/Off/On..

rickmerl

Tooltip Line Returns & Blank Lines

I'm sure most of you know this, but I'm sharing this for those who don't know, so as to pay my way for the help I need.

After exhaustive attempts I finally figured out how to create 'Line Returns' (Using &¶&)

Example:

"REPORTS TO" &¶&

"" &¶&

"Enter who the employee reports to" &¶&

"Enter 'N/A' if unknown"

Returns the TT:

REPORTS TO

Enter who the employee reports to

Enter 'N/A' if unknown

------------------------------------------------

Turning ToolTips On/Off/On... with a user button

Now that I'm able to create flashy Tooltip's for the user/s, I've gone a bit overboard, so would like the user

to be able to turn the TT's Off, once they become familiar with the database, yet still be able to turn the TT's

back On if they have a need to do so.

I am I have a radio button 'gHelpTips_OnOff'

An am stuck on how to proceed.

Is someone able to provide a simple (elegant) solution?

Thanks in advance

RM

• 1. Re: Making a user button to turn Tooltip (TT) On/Off/On..
          rickmerl

Sorry for errors..

I have a radio button 'gHelpTips_OnOff'

And I am stuck on how to proceed.

Is someone able to provide a simple (elegant) solution?

Thanks in advance

RM

• 2. Re: Making a user button to turn Tooltip (TT) On/Off/On..
            StephenWonfor

You might be better using a $$Variable.  Set it to "off" or "" on login script then allow user to turn on when they want to see the tooltips.  Your tool tips could all use a Case statement - Case($$ToolTips = "On"; "Your tooltip here").

Stephen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Making a user button to turn Tooltip (TT) On/Off/On..
              RickWhitelaw

As far as I know if a tooltip is there it's on. No way to turn it off.

• 4. Re: Making a user button to turn Tooltip (TT) On/Off/On..
                StephenWonfor

Rick

Before I posted I tested what I claimed.  It worked.  Just needs a test to show or not show.

Stephen

• 5. Re: Making a user button to turn Tooltip (TT) On/Off/On..
                  beverly

TT is set up in a Specify Calculation , so why not?

If( condition ; "" ; calculation_here )

... or any other valid calculation!

You don't have a choice of text, number, date, time, etc. result. The default is plain TEXT.

Valid: I don't think I ever got the Text Formatting to work in the TT, for example, so there are several functions that don't work.

beverly

• 6. Re: Making a user button to turn Tooltip (TT) On/Off/On..
                    rickmerl

Thanks Stephen & Beverly

New to FM from the development side, yet persistent and have come a long way.

Since the beginning, I have worked on a single DB example, trying a bit of everything I discover.

However......   (don't you all just hate the words "However and But... lol)

I sometimes find myself in never ending loops of confusion. So Im still squinting at most things I read for the first time, like a one-eyed cat. (Reflected in my avatar)

So, hope you can be more specific re what goes where etc..

The good news.... Once learnt, and re-applied to other uses, I get it.

Cant wait to change my Avatar to something like a Snow Leopard etc.. Agile and elegant

RM

• 7. Re: Making a user button to turn Tooltip (TT) On/Off/On..
                      rickmerl

The radio button set (gHelpTips_OnOff) is   |  O  On    O  Off  | (O representing the buttons)

• 8. Re: Making a user button to turn Tooltip (TT) On/Off/On..
                        Jason Wood

First, if you have a field that is designed to store a boolean value (e.g.: Yes/No, On/Off, 1/0), then it should be a checkbox, and the value list should have 1 option and that should be "1". You can shrink the field on the layout so you can add whatever label you want ("On", "Enabled", "Yes"). When the box is checked, it will have a value of 1 (which evaluates to true), otherwise it will be blank (which evaluates to false).

Then your tooltips will be:

If( gHelpTips_OnOff ; "My Tooltip" ; "" )

Which reads as "If the value of GHelpTips_OnOff is true, then the tooltip is 'My Tooltip', otherwise it is empty."

• 9. Re: Making a user button to turn Tooltip (TT) On/Off/On..
                          rickmerl

Eureka !

Thank's to Beverly, Stephen, and Jason

Using parts of each of your advice, I have:

Turning ToolTips On/Off/On... with a user button

working beautifully.

Let me take the time to make sure it's stable (rock solid),

and will then report here, and provide an example of the solution I used.

RM

• 11. Re: Making a user button to turn Tooltip (TT) On/Off/On..
                            rickmerl

TURN TOOTTIP (TT) FEATURE OFF/ON/OFF BUTTON   (User Control)

MY EXAMPLE

STEP 1

1. File > Mange > Value Lists

2. Create a new Value list

‘Help_Tip_OnOff’ with values:On

:Off

(Note: Jason suggested a single Value: On – Works as well – Your Choice)

STEP 2

3. File > Manage > Database

4. Create a new field ‘gHelpTips_OnOff’  (The ‘g’ a good idea to group it with globals – Your Choice)

5. Select the new fields ‘options’ and set it to a global field

STEP 3

6. Go to the Layout

7. Create a new Field box

8. Double click the new field and specify it as ‘gHelpTips_OnOff’

9. Highlight the new ‘gHelpTips_OnOff’  field

10.  Under the ‘Inspector’ > ‘Color Pallet’ >  Style , make sure it is set as a ‘Edit’ box

11.  Under the ‘Inspector’ > ‘Storage Icon’ > ‘Control Style’, set as a ‘Radio Button Set’

(Note: Using Jason’s suggestion, you would set it to ‘Checkbox Set’ – Works as well – Your Choice)

12.  Under the ‘Inspector’ > ‘Storage Icon’ > ‘Values From’, associate it with ‘Help_Tip_OnOff’

STEP 4

13.  Place the field were you think it best.

a) I placed it on the in the footer

b) I also used the ‘conditional formatting’ to set the text and icon to ON=Red Off=Green

THE TOOLTIP (TT)

Now you’re ready to go nuts with your ToolTip (TT) Help Comments.

Using the example from my first post.

The field simply asks the user who the contact person reports to in their organization

The TT looks like this:

If ( gHelpTips_OnOff = "On"; ¶&

"Who the contact's position' 'Reports To' within the company or department" &¶&

" " &¶&

"You may leave this field blank if you choose" &¶&

“ “  )

SYNTAX

If ( gHelpTips_OnOff = "condition" ; "TT” )

a) If  ( ‘field’ is “On” (eg: On, True or 1) .…….  ;  (then proceed/execute)

c) ¶& (new line) (my opinion - looks better with the first and last line blank – your choice)

My Tooltip comments”………………….…….. &¶& (new line)

“ ”  (blank line)  ……………………………….. &¶& (new line)

“next line of my TT comments” ……………..... &¶& (new line)

“ “  (blank line)  ……………………………..…  )  (end brackets)

I thought to describe this in detail, like me, newbies can't always fully understand the syntax used by the very experienced  helpers who respond to our "HELPPPP !"

I was able to also apply this to my developement method.

I have also created a new "Developer On Button" (requiring dev permissions)

I dropped a few "Hidden fields" on the layout so I am able to store "Dev" Help Tips and notes (Using TT's)

This will assist me, so that I don't loose my way in remembering what/how I did xyz etc.

Stephen, I was able to avoid using the ($$Variable.  Set it to "off" or "" on login script).

Jason, re "Checkbox" works just as well in my solution, and might use elsewhere, but my preference was for 'O On on O Off' for consistancy in my layout.

Bev, a suptle difference, but thanks, it was helpful 

Appreciate the combined advice of Bev, Jason, and Stephen.

Ticking Stephen, because I can't tick you all.

Thanks

RM

• 12. Re: Making a user button to turn Tooltip (TT) On/Off/On..
                              beverly

well explained RM!

Correct on the If() - where no else/false statement is required. I agree with your full explanation (for the newbies) and often just use the syntax as in the Help docs with link and further clarification:

(the else is optional)

I used

If(condition; "" ; calculated_tt)

I think because the "default" would be the final 'calculated_tt' had we used Case() instead of If(). And there may be times when several conditions may need to be tested. Or maybe I was working with RPN yesterday (thinking in reverse).

If(HideTT_g ; "" ; calculated_tt)

I probably test for turning them 'off'/hiding with the default of 'on'.

beverly

• 13. Re: Making a user button to turn Tooltip (TT) On/Off/On..
                                rickmerl

Bev, from my experience to date. There are so many ways to each solution, and it comes down to a few things.

: The way you think

: The way you want it to look behind the scenes

: The way you want it to look from the user end

: The way you want it to behave ( both ends)

: and CONSISTANCY

Elegance at both ends will developer with skill

But consistency needs to be present from the outset.

(both for the developer to remember what the hell they did, and for the user intuitiveness of the app)

E.g.:

Jason's single checkbox is a good idea and works in my solution, but for consistency I chose to  stay with radio buttons 'Turn Help Tips:' On Off

(consistant with the other user controls I present)

So I'm onboard re your reply.

RM

• 14. Re: Making a user button to turn Tooltip (TT) On/Off/On..
                                  itsrayland

Great job! thank you!!!!

R

///  RAY LAND  ///  @ITSRAYLAND  /// C 386.362.9312 ///  O 866.352.7295