5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2017 5:45 AM by fmpdude

Possible to pass cell phone number direct to IOS or Android?

KurtBleicken

We have a WD solution with around 1000 very occasional users. Layouts are built for computer, tablet, and now smartphone sizes. We would like to let the user click on the cell phone field and send a text message.

The key thing would be to be able to pass the phone number directly to the smartphone, IOS or Android.

If this is possible then the normal read the text and respond would be possible.

• 1. Re: Possible to pass cell phone number direct to IOS or Android?
          Johan Hedman

I have used Twillio and have a very simple PHP script on the web server that I call from FileMaker using InsertFromURL

• 2. Re: Possible to pass cell phone number direct to IOS or Android?
            alangodfrey

KurtBleicken, can I ask the approx cost of the FM licensing for your arrangement?  We have a potential use for any 3 or 4 occasional simultaneous WD users out of about 25, and the licensing costs for even 25 are huge, never mind 1000.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Possible to pass cell phone number direct to IOS or Android?
              fmpdude

If you create a simple service (I use Java), that service can, well, service, as many FMP clients as you want. All for free. No FMS required.

Plus, with a service approach, any application you have (Terminal, browser, FMP, etc.) that can do an HTTP GET could use the free service you write and host. It's super easy to do!

It's true in that non-FMS case, however, that each user's FMP application would need to point to the service URL (via INSERT_FROM_URL), but it's a great alternative if it makes sense for your situation.

I like the idea of FMS, but have never been able to justify the ever-increasing costs.

--

Here's a link with a video and other information about how to use Java and Twillo:

Twilio SMS and MMS Java Quickstart - Twilio

As johanhedman noted above, and from the video in the link directly above, the actual code to implement Twillo from FMP (regardless whether you use Java or PHP other) is simple and short.

Post back with any issues.

• 4. Re: Possible to pass cell phone number direct to IOS or Android?
                KurtBleicken

I have checked out Twilio and other services and indeed it is very simple to set up. However, when a user sends a text message it does not have a 'reply to' phone number, it only has a 'from' number. So there is no apparent way for the recipient of the message to reply directly to the sender.

So if, in our case, when John sends a text message to Mary, his classmate, Mary has no way to respond to the text message. The 'from' is our Twilio phone number. Mary's response will go the Twilio server.

However, we can retrieve the response message from Mary when it comes back to Twilio, so it may be possible to figure out who the originator, John, was and pass the message on to him. But this seems like a very klugey solution.

Our wish would be, rather than sending the message from a Twilio type service, to pass the cell phone number directly to John's IPhone to generate the message from John's phone. Then John and Mary could have a normal SMS conversation. It would seem that for some reason this is not possible.

• 5. Re: Possible to pass cell phone number direct to IOS or Android?
                  fmpdude

Possibly you could just use SMS directly then instead of Twillo? Using the service approach (again, my bias here), it wouldn't matter from the FMP perspective "how" you implement SMS since service users would just be POSTing to some URL.