4 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2017 3:57 AM by wimdecorte

FileMaker Server File

knightman

Greeting Everyone

I'm new for FileMaker server, what I'm noticed if I'm using the hosted file on FileMaker server via (Go,Pro) and I disconnect the internet from the client (device) I lose access to the hosted file it self. What I was hoping is I still can use the hosted file over FileMaker Go or FileMaker Pro, and when the connection reconnect it self back again the client (device) will resume working again and upload what ever update happen for that file back to the server without interruption. 

A simple example of what i’m talking about is Dropbox which let you create, edit, upload, and delete files from the dropbox folder located on your device without internet connection.  as soon as you connect to the internet the Dropbox will update the recent changes to Dropbox folder on the cloud.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server File
          Johan Hedman

FileMaker have a Reconnect function that you setup in Security. Reauthenticate and the add the number of seconds.

FileMaker do not work like Dropbox and should not be consider as such a tool. FileMaker Server is a database Server.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server File
            knightman

Johan, thanks for your quick reply.

I know FileMaker dose not work like Dropbox, what I meant to say is the functionality of updating the file to the server later The concept of larer update.

Now for the reconmect function. I'm not sure if this will work if you going out on the field without internet for days.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server File
              Johan Hedman

For handling best possible update functionality of a FileMaker Solution, I recommend you do work with Separation Model, meaning you have one file with Data and one file with your Graphical User Interface (GUI). With this technique you most of the time only need to change the GUI-file when you have done updates and that is much easier then changing the whole file.

Reconnect will not work if you are out for longer times. Then what you do is that you create a shortcut that opens up your solution.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server File
                wimdecorte

knightman wrote:

Johan, thanks for your quick reply.

I know FileMaker dose not work like Dropbox, what I meant to say is the functionality of updating the file to the server later The concept of larer update.

What you are after is a sync functionality.  There have been many threads about this and there are a number of FM products out there that offer this capability: Mirrorsync, GoZync, FM EasySync, Sync Server Pro,...

knightman wrote:

Now for the reconmect function. I'm not sure if this will work if you going out on the field without internet for days.

No, it won't.  The reconnect feature is meant to overcome short outage periods.  When you lose your network connection FM will show the reconnect dialog but it will not let you work in your file while it is disconnected.

1 of 1 people found this helpful